• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Custom Solutions » 60,000 character limit - hope this helps someone else!
60,000 character limit - hope this helps someone else!
MrsWak

Message # 1 | 11:17 PM
I have been fighting with this all day! I found a note about it on another thread, but I can't track it down again now (and I want to go to bed). Cannot understand it at all as other pages on my site are much longer than the one that is now telling me "too much information!!!"

I had problems with this "limit" a couple of weeks ago, but I found I could navigate around it by only adding a small amount of info to the page, and saving as I go along. I'm afraid I'm using a very basic copy-and-paste method for transferring info from an existing document, and I find the user interface on UCoz very user friendly for a non-teccy like me!

On the thread I found earlier, it was suggested that the problem (telling me it was more than 60,000 characters) was occurring because the text was copied from a Word doc, and suggested using Notepad instead. Well, I changed my pre-existing doc onto another format, think it was something in the Lotus suite, and yes I could upload it onto my page and save it. Then it wouldn't let me add any more. Tried it from Notepad, same thing - couldn't save it.

Have just performed a successful experiment. Created a totally new document on my PC, in the Open Office Writer progamme. Copied it, pasted it ... and saved it!! And it's a whole 9 x A4 pages long - including some spaces where images should be - and it saved all in one go!!!

So, next task shall be to try to insert the images where they need to be. I'll post again to let you all know if it works or not.

Sorry this is a long post, but hope this info might help somebody else like me, who knows how to use a PC but not how they actually work!!
PixelKhaos

Message # 2 | 11:21 PM
For that much text I would reccommend a .pdf file.
I believe there are interactive .pdf readers for websites, so you can read it on a page without needing to open up a link or download it.

Proud uCoz user since 2006
Freelance designer - http://pixelkhaos.com
PixelKhaos on twitter - @PixelKhaos

I can help you develop your site for a small fee.
VZ

Message # 3 | 5:58 AM
this is very helpful if u dont want to use up disk space, i know you can buy space but its only for a month
Hit that "Thanks" button. :)
In life there's ALWAYS limits but do not plan above them.
VLADA

Message # 4 | 10:13 AM
Quote (MrsWak)
I have been fighting with this all day! I found a note about it on another thread, but I can't track it down again now (and I want to go to bed). Cannot understand it at all as other pages on my site are much longer than the one that is now telling me "too much information!!!"

I had problems with this "limit" a couple of weeks ago, but I found I could navigate around it by only adding a small amount of info to the page, and saving as I go along. I'm afraid I'm using a very basic copy-and-paste method for transferring info from an existing document, and I find the user interface on UCoz very user friendly for a non-teccy like me!

On the thread I found earlier, it was suggested that the problem (telling me it was more than 60,000 characters) was occurring because the text was copied from a Word doc, and suggested using Notepad instead. Well, I changed my pre-existing doc onto another format, think it was something in the Lotus suite, and yes I could upload it onto my page and save it. Then it wouldn't let me add any more. Tried it from Notepad, same thing - couldn't save it.

Have just performed a successful experiment. Created a totally new document on my PC, in the Open Office Writer progamme. Copied it, pasted it ... and saved it!! And it's a whole 9 x A4 pages long - including some spaces where images should be - and it saved all in one go!!!

So, next task shall be to try to insert the images where they need to be. I'll post again to let you all know if it works or not.

Sorry this is a long post, but hope this info might help somebody else like me, who knows how to use a PC but not how they actually work!!

It's because of uCoz Wysiwyg editor and your word document (they both add messy code). Just copy the text from your Word Document into Notepad and from Notepad into uCoz Editor and you should have less characters.

http://banovci.ucoz.net
http://guardsofaden.ucoz.ru
http://jeftinodosajta.com
-------------------------------

With uCoz since 2007.
Post edited by VLADA - Thursday, 2012-03-15, 10:14 AM
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Custom Solutions » 60,000 character limit - hope this helps someone else!
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: