• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Online Shop » Payment system fee (paypal)
Payment system fee
dragosfloriancurtasu

Message # 1 | 2:18 PM
Hello, I have a newbie question. I'm using Paypal as a payment method, and as we all know there are some fees involved.
In the module settings, there is a field "Payment system fee (shop's currency unit):" with 2 options "Fixed" and "percentage"
But the PayPal fee is usually 30$ + percentage of the price. Why we don't have this option too??
With fixed and percentage options that we have now, 1 of the parts (the seller or the buyer) loses money all the time.
For example, in my shop, I will have products from 1$ to 45$ how can I set the PayPal fee to not lose money, or make the buyer pay almost a triple price when he buys the 1$ product???

Added (2018-06-16, 2:18 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Is this forum abandoned? Isn't there any moderators, or any person who can give a technical solution?

Gromov

Message # 2 | 5:35 AM
dragosfloriancurtasu, no, the forum isn't abandoned at all. I'll check the details of your request and get back to you with an answer.
Gromov

Message # 3 | 6:54 AM
dragosfloriancurtasu, First of all, there's no such fixed price as $30 from PayPal, nobody would have used it biggrin
The fee is $0.30, but it depends on the currency, this one is for USD, I don't know what currency you're going to use.
Secondly, there's % part as well and since you're from outside the US and most likely so does the targeted audience, the percentage will be 4.4%? but it's better to clarify it with the PayPal support. So, the best way is to choose the percentage rate and set it as in the range of 4,4-5.0%.

Unfortunately, but there's no such option to calculate and add the exact sum to the order at the moment.
dragosfloriancurtasu

Message # 4 | 0:38 AM
Well... I've made a mistake... of course, it can't be $30 biggrin
It's $0.30 + 3.4% .... but your solution will not work... It would work only if all the prices would be the same and 4.5 - 5% would cover the fee, but as I have told you, I will have prices from $1 to $45... so 5% from $1 it's $0,05 (which is way fas from the fee amount, so I'm losing money) and 5% from $45 it's 2.25 (the fee it's around $1.85 so the buyer has to pay more and loses money)...

I really can't understand how is this possible... after 8-10 years of existence, nobody from the tech stuff had the idea to check how much is the paypal fee??????????

We are paying for this services... as you well know the shop module it's not free... it is so easy to add a fixed amount + percent to the list of options... this leaves me the impression that nobody really cares for us the one who pays for the service...
Gromov

Message # 5 | 5:20 AM
dragosfloriancurtasu, The thing is that the PayPal fee is different for the US and all other countries + the fixed fee may be different as well since you may use other currency than USD.

Basically, all you need to do is to check this page identify your main country where most/all of the sales are done and set the %. It doesn't matter that all of your products don't have the same price, PayPal will take their % no matter what.
dragosfloriancurtasu

Message # 6 | 11:55 AM
Thank you for your answers. Please, don't take it wrong, but you really don't understand this thing. How can you set a % when a fixed amount it's involved???? Of course PayPal takes always the money, but in this case, either the seller or the customer are losing money in PayPal's favor... and only because uCoz it's too lazy to add another fee option to that list!!!!
Please... help me understand, how to set the correct percent for this example: the fee is $0.30 + 3.4% of the price. I have 2 products: 1 with the price of $1 and another with the price of $45. Which should be the right % to set, so I can be fair to the customers that buy the $45 product, and not to lose money when selling the $1 product?????????

Is it so difficult after 10 years of existence to add this option to that list? Shouldn't the tech stuff did this 10 years ago??
I am more than sure that it can't take more than 10-20 lines of code, and believe me I have no Idea of coding...
Gromov

Message # 7 | 6:45 AM
dragosfloriancurtasu, I'll try to explain it to you once again. Yes, PayPal takes a fixed amount + %, and yes, within the system you can choose between the two but not both. Since the % part is pretty much always higher than the fixed price, I can suggest you use it instead.

As for your example:
3.4% from 1$ will be = 0,034
3.4% from 45$ will be = 1,53
You may simply increase the percentage depending on your price range, it can be 4 if you have more products with 45$ price than others. It's up to you to decide what value do you want to use.

As for your suggestion, it was forwarded to our technical division right after the very first message of yours, but it's not as easy as you think it is and will take some time if it's going to be implemented.
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Online Shop » Payment system fee (paypal)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: