Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Favicon: how to change
Sunny

Message # 1 | 10:03 AM
What is a favicon? A favicon is a small icon (16x16 px) in a browser address bar (near the url of your website). All uCoz websites have the following default favicon:

How to replace the default icon by a custom one?

http://faq.ucoz.com/faq/29-1#220

If this explanation is not enough then follow the steps below:

• Download or create (by means of special programs) an icon - .ico file 16x16 px.

• Name it favicon.ico.

• Upload this icon to File Manager or via FTP to the root folder of your website (the first folder where you see the original favicon.ico). You don't need to delete the original icon, just upload a new one and the old one will be replaced automatically.

• If you have done everything correctly, then you will be able to view a new icon at _http://your_site.ucoz.com/favicon.ico. Go to your website and refresh the page. If the icon hasn't changed, clear browser's cache or simply wait for some time.

IE may not display the icon. To solve this problem try to paste the following code between < head> and < /head>:

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">                   
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Post edited by PixelKhaos - Wednesday, 2013-09-11, 11:59 PM
Blazer

Message # 106 | 7:50 PM
i am using " .tk " domain name , when i open my website a green favicon appears (.tk's favicon), can i remove it ?or replace it ?
If i helped you + My Reputation and Give me an Award.
Animorph

Message # 107 | 8:02 PM
Blazer, no you can't the dot tk put his own favicon there the show people you use his service , its not replace able without attaching your domain
To busy building a passive income online ;)
CoffeeCone

Message # 108 | 2:43 AM
Quote (Animorph)
Blazer, no you can't the dot tk put his own favicon there the show people you use his service , its not replace able without attaching your domain

Eherm, I beg to differ, take a look at my website -> http://www.shadowslash.tk/ and look at the favicon... wink

Quote (Blazer)
i am using " .tk " domain name , when i open my website a green favicon appears (.tk's favicon), can i remove it ?or replace it ?

It's possible but you'd need to use uCoz's domain attachment. If you only use .TK as a redirection domain then no you can't. For information about attaching domains, you can view this thread.

"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer 6." - Microsoft || Join the cause. Help your friends.

DEEPKG

Message # 109 | 2:14 PM
thanks dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
I Try to help. U can Try to give Rep ++ For my try :P
Yashraj

Message # 110 | 3:16 PM
I have uploaded a favicon with the name: favicon.ico from last 1-2 days and yet doesn't appear and seems to have replaced the original default one as well. So what now?

website name: wlsa.ucoz.com

Natashko

Message # 111 | 3:34 PM
Yashraj, the favicon has been changed, see this . Make sure that cookies are accepted by the browser, clear the cookies history; check whether JavaScript is enabled in your browser; clear the cache (temporary files) of the browser
Attachments: 0481383.png (2.7 Kb)
Yashraj

Message # 112 | 6:43 PM
cleared the cookies yet doesn't appear in my browser sad
Natashko

Message # 113 | 1:09 PM
Yashraj, it is there. I provided you with a screenshot. Try to use another browser or update the current one. Maybe some necessary browser functions are disabled or are working incorrectly. If your Internet Explorer version is less than 8 – install latest Windows updates, or install Internet Explorer 8 as a separate package; if you use Opera version less than 10.60 or Firefox less than 3.6.3 – update the browser.
Creator9427

Message # 114 | 4:04 PM
Nice! Thanx! biggrin
It works by me in 10 minutes! tongue

*Feeling happy smile *

Loz

Message # 115 | 6:40 PM
Quote (Sunny)
IE may not display the icon. To solve this problem try to paste the following code between and :

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Can you please explain exactly where I put this code - my icon is working for firefox but not for IE (and I have cleared the cache).

As an extra, I have noticed a couple of forum posts where information like this
Quote (Sunny)
code between and :

is missing for me (both in firefox and IE). Is this a problem with the posts or the way I am displaying them.

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 116 | 11:11 PM
1. You should place this code within the <head> tags.

2. I have noticed the same thing in some posts. I'm not sure why, but I don't think it is a browser issue.

Hope this helps happy

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Loz

Message # 117 | 11:51 PM
Quote (Paradox)
1. You should place this code within the <head> tags.

Of every template with <head> tags?
At the moment i've just put it in CP -- Page editor -- Site Pages
which has worked but i'd just like to be sure

thx for help - rep + award

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 118 | 1:27 AM
I'm not sure but it probably needs to be put into the head tag of every template. You can do this by quick replacement in the design customisation section in the control panel.
Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Loz

Message # 119 | 3:19 AM
Paradox,
Your a genius and a very nice guy,.

I never even thought about using the 'quick replacement' function

Thx a lot

Natashko

Message # 120 | 11:18 AM
Loz, between < head > and < /head > of each template. And I have corrected that part of the tutorial (the first post). Thank you.
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Search: