• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » tags with upper-case letters and not shown on the main page (two problems I have with tags)
tags with upper-case letters and not shown on the main page
blackfernando

Message # 1 | 9:15 AM
Hi everyone.

Having just created a blog on uCoz, I've just noticed that:

1) uCoz keeps on changing my tags, in the form of putting upper-case letters where I don't want them - even if I go back and change such tags, afterwards, to all lower-case letters (which even leads to an error, when it shows "BRICs", instead of the correct form of the acronym "BRICS" - or, as I want it to be shown, in all lower-case letters, "brics").

2) For some reason, the tags are not shown on the main page, at the end of the posts (like they do in the individual posts' pages) - even if I copy the "tags" code (from the posts' page configuration to the main page's configuration).

Is there any way to solve such problems?

Added (2014-10-26, 6:40 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Another thing I've just noticed...

Is that, (3) on the posts' pages, the tags are not displayed in alphabetical order...

Why is that? Is there any way to make them be displayed in alphabetical order, as is the normal occurrence on other blog services?

Added (2014-10-27, 8:15 AM)
4th problem with tags - and, a huge one for me...

I can't use more than 10 tags in a post(!).

(As for, with Blogger, I could use 20 tags - which was just about the number that I needed...)

10 is close to the number of tags that I usually use in my posts. But, in a lot of them, I use between 10 and 20 tags. And these tags are a very important part of my blog, because they also serve to draw people's attention to the specific (and very important) subjects that I mention.

Is there any way that I could use more tags?

(If this is a fixed option on the Blog module... Please, people at uCoz, consider changing this option to allow more tags(!). I'm sure I'm not the only one for which this is a most important issue.)

Signed,

A Portuguese blogger, taking "refuge" in Russian servers from NSA spying and censorship
Post edited by blackfernando - Monday, 2014-10-27, 9:17 AM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 2 | 3:26 PM
Quote blackfernando ()
1) uCoz keeps on changing my tags, in the form of putting upper-case letters where I don't want them - even if I go back and change such tags, afterwards, to all lower-case letters (which even leads to an error, when it shows "BRICs", instead of the correct form of the acronym "BRICS" - or, as I want it to be shown, in all lower-case letters, "brics").

From what I understand it's a component of the server which will default it all to uppercase lettering. You can, however, force the output to display in lowercase using CSS. Add this style at the bottom of your sites CSS template located via Control Panel > Design Customisation > Style Sheet (CSS).

Code
eTag {text-transform:lowercase;}

Quote blackfernando ()
2) For some reason, the tags are not shown on the main page, at the end of the posts (like they do in the individual posts' pages) - even if I copy the "tags" code (from the posts' page configuration to the main page's configuration).

The code $TAGS$ isn't available in the "Appearance of entires." template. The only option I can see would be looking at a dynamic jQuery solution which I will find tomorrow and get back to you on. wink

Quote blackfernando ()
Is there any way to make them be displayed in alphabetical order, as is the normal occurrence on other blog services?

As far as I am aware there is no standard system feature that will asisst with this. My best advice would again be to look into a possible jQuery or JavaScript solution.

Quote blackfernando ()
I can't use more than 10 tags in a post(!).

This is unfortunately a system limitation. I don't believe it is adjustable, however I will check with our technical department and get back to you. smile

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
blackfernando

Message # 3 | 7:54 PM
Hello there, Paradox.

Thank you very much for your help and availability.

(And, while I wait, then, for you to say something more about this... I would just like to add that,)

Concerning problem #1,

- I've tried adding* the line that you gave me, and it works! (PROBLEM SOLVED) smile

(* for those, like me, who are mere amateurs in changing the CSS configuration options, and that might want to make the same change, the line requires that a dot "." be placed before it, so that it looks like: ".eTag {text-transform:lowercase;}")

Concerning problems #2 and #3,

If you could, then, provide me the jQuery and JavaScript solutions, I would be very much obliged. Since that, that's way beyond my (very basic) knowledge of programming, and changes in CSS configurations...

Concerning problem #4,

As I said, this is a most important issue for me. Since that, it makes it impossible to operate my blog in the way that I'm used and want to. As I said, 20 tags is just about the maximum number of tags I've ever needed. Since that, the maximum number I've ever wanted to use was 21 or 22. So, if it would be possible to increase the number to 20, that would be something with which I could operate with. And, if you would be willing to increase it even more - to, say, 25(?) - it would make the difference from being a very good condition (with 20) to an absolutely perfect(!) one (with 25)... smile

But, still, concerning tags,

I've become aware of yet another problem...

(Problem #5)

I've accumulated a total of 305 tags, in the course of almost 4 years of posting on my blog (which I would like to fully transfer to this new address of mine, at uCoz.com) - and which is 5 tags more than the 300 allowed. And, I've checked the tags that I'm using, and don't want to get rid of any of them...

I have the habit of using tags to identify which countries my posts relate to. And of also using tags to identify which authors have wrote or directed the works that I'm calling people's attention to, when I think that those authors are good enough for me to want to call people's attention to.

And, since that (1) there are a lot of countries in the world, (2) I keep on finding very good authors, who write about very important things, and (3) there are always all sorts of subjects coming up, and that deserve their own tag...

If you could increase the number of tags allowed, that would be great, also.

While using "Blogger", I've never had any problems with the number of tags I could create... And, essentially, what I would like, would be to have a basic blog, in terms of appearance, that could be something similar to the one I had at Blogger - and, of which you all can take a peek here: http://blackfernando.blogspot.com/

And, I'm sorry if all of this is trying to push things too far... But, as I say, these are most important issues to me... And, I come here to call attention to them, because I would really (really) like to host my blog on your server, for several reasons.

But, if I can't use tags the way that I'm used to - at least, in the number of them that I can use (problems #4 and #5) - I will have to, very unfortunately, move to somewhere else... :\

Added (2014-10-31, 6:54 PM)
P.S. - These are problems which I'm not in a hurry to solve... And, if I had some guarantee that they would be solved in the following months, or even years, I would gladly continue using your service. (Since that, I'm already in a final phase of my posting activity, and will soon finish my publication, about which I'm now more worried about having it archived in a secure place.) So, if I would know that I could have my blog looking the way I would like to, in the near future, I would be very happy. Only, otherwise... I would really have to leave this server, unfortunately...

Signed,

A Portuguese blogger, taking "refuge" in Russian servers from NSA spying and censorship
Sunny

Message # 4 | 2:42 PM
blackfernando, I'm afraid at the moment it is not possible to increase the max number of tags per post and the max total number of tags. I cannot promise this will change in the near future, but I cannot rule out this possibility either.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
blackfernando

Message # 5 | 8:13 AM
Well... After much thought and consideration, I'm sorry to say that I really had to move to somewhere else.
It's a pity on my part. :\ Since that, I really like your service (in the way that it allows us: to easily manage/edit much more aspects of our blogs; upload large files via FTP; and other things, like adding simple HTML files - that make it far superior, in some aspects, to other blogging hosts).
But, when it comes to other aspects, of also the blogging component, unfortunately, it's still significantly behind other hosts - in terms of lack of simple two-column templates, and the mentioned problems, that I have, with the number of tags that we can use.
(Just for you to know, in the simple Portuguese blogging service that I'm now using, I've tested it, and I can use (at least) 22 tags in the blog posts, and had no problem importing my current 305 total tags to it...)
Maybe, in the future, if there are improvements in your blogging service, I'll come back.
I really liked the experience of having used your (general) hosting service - including the nice control panel in it - and also the whole uCoz network, in general.
So, I'll be keeping an eye on uCoz in the future.
Thank you very much, you all, for your help and your answers.

Signed,

Sunny

Message # 6 | 8:30 AM
blackfernando, thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate it. uCoz is being constantly developed, so I hope in future we will have all the features you need for your website wink
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » tags with upper-case letters and not shown on the main page (two problems I have with tags)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: