• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » Additional Services » Domain Transfer » No 'Read more' link
No 'Read more' link
freelance7076

Message # 1 | 2:39 PM
Second question of the day - on my first blog post on the main blog page there's a 'read more' link at the bottom of the text which goes to the full-text page. I've just copy/pasted my second piece and that link isn't there - there's only the first paragraph and no access to the full piece.

Anyone got any ideas why, please?

Added (2016-08-08, 2:39 PM)
---------------------------------------------
I also now have 2 search fields on my pages! How can I remove one of them please?
Sorry for all the questions - I may get the hang of this thing one day!

Sunny

Message # 2 | 3:07 PM
freelance7076, please provide the address of the website.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
freelance7076

Message # 3 | 9:48 AM
It's http://annwalkerwrites.com

Added (2016-08-09, 9:11 AM)
Hi,
Could someone please help with these issues?

Many thanks

Added (2016-08-09, 9:48 AM)
Sorted the extra search field with Builder. I'm happy I'm eventually solving my own issues, but it's taken so much time to find the solutions by trial and error.

joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 4 | 1:05 PM
freelance7076, are you using the $CUT$ code to cut the text or the short + long description method?
hey i'm joe and i do not work for the company anymore, please contact other staff or tech support
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
freelance7076

Message # 5 | 2:24 PM
Bigblog - my hero! So glad to see you! biggrin

Okay - I have no idea what to do with the $cut$ thingy so am just trying to go in and edit the text manually. The 'read more'link only appears on the first blog post I put up, despite the module settings being set to show only the first 800 characters for each post. The full text of the second post above can be accessed only by clicking its heading.
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 6 | 8:58 PM
freelance7076, try reuploading the post. It should work, I tested it. It might have been a small glitch at the addition of the entry. smile

As about the $CUT$ variable, it's a code that will cut the entry text where it's inserted. This way, the system will show only the characters that are entered until the $CUT$ code in the entry listings. I thought you were using that method, but on your website, it's not the case.

hey i'm joe and i do not work for the company anymore, please contact other staff or tech support
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
freelance7076

Message # 7 | 9:07 PM
Hi Bigblog. Thank you for looking. I just saw you on the site actually! Do I need to insert the $CUT$ code into the HTML version of the blog text to define how much gets shown on the blog front page then? That would mean I have better control over where thebreak in the text comes - no more half-sentences? Great!

One probably daft question - what's the difference between a guest and a user on my site please? I saw you and another user but I would have thought you'd have shown as guests?

Many thank sagain
Ann
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 8 | 9:14 PM
freelance7076, yes, the $CUT$ variable gives you complete freedom and control over what needs to be shown in the entry listings and what not. smile

As about the other concern, "users" are called those people who have registered (e.g. logged in through a social networking site) using the /register page, or the /index/1 link, for that matter. Visitors are anonymous, unknown people who didn't log in to the website. We had to log in to test the things out. smile I'd recommend you to properly set the permissions for Users as right now anyone logged in to the website, whether or not part of the "Administrators" group, can add new entries to your blog.

More info about the "Users" module - http://faq.ucoz.com/faq/3-1 .

icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
freelance7076

Message # 9 | 9:25 PM
Yikes! I thought I had done that already. Obviously I didn't get that right either! I don't want anyone to be able to log in, just to have people visit and comment. Okay - I'll go and look at that. Thank you!
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 10 | 9:26 PM
Quote freelance7076 ()
I don't want anyone to be able to log in, just to have people visit and comment.

Well, they kinda have to log in to leave a comment. But logging in is easy, thanks to social media! smile

icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
freelance7076

Message # 11 | 9:34 PM
I managed to remove the email field on the comments section earlier, so it's just a name needed to comment, but how can I stop people from adding stuff other than that please? I've looked at the Users section in the CP- do I need to uncheck everything or is there a blanket way to switch them off?

Can you tell I'm a novice at this stuff?? biggrin
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 12 | 6:13 AM
freelance7076, you can set the User permissions for different modules in Control Panel » Users » User groups » Set permissions for all groups.
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
freelance7076

Message # 13 | 7:05 AM
Morning Bigblog and thank you. I don't know if I got it right - just turned everything off for everyone except the admin - so maybe nothing will work now!! I'm learning slowly. smile

I'm really concerned that I'm still not getting access to Builder or anything to edit text etc while logged in on this home IP. Is there any way to sort this out please? I'll be out of hotspot time on the iphone soon! I've tried applying the 'no fixation' setting on the IP address but there's no change.

On a positive note, the Read More link is there and working now, thank you.
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 14 | 7:59 AM
freelance7076, I have answered your question in the original thread. Let's continue the discussion there as I'm locking this one now. smile
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
uCoz Community » Additional Services » Domain Transfer » No 'Read more' link
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: