• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » Communication » uCoz Discussions » Malware popups
Malware popups
BigHank

Message # 1 | 4:56 PM
Greetings. Tanya did respond to me on Facebook, but I thought I would post to give more evidence (pics).

My site is http://mccrea.ucoz.com/

I have malware popups. I checked 5 other ucoz user sites from this the forum, and the 2 that were at *.ucoz.com had the same popups.

I check my browsers. Both FireFox and Chrome show the popups.

http://superzt.ucoz.com/
http://random260.ucoz.com/

I've only used standard templates, and I had not made any change since 2 months ago until today when I noticed the problem.

I hope we can get this straightened out soon.

Edit: Also http://alter.ucoz.com/
Post edited by BigHank - Friday, 2013-07-26, 5:11 PM
Xayaan

Message # 2 | 7:16 PM
BigHank, From what i can see on the Popups , They seem to be a Advertisement by uCoz. They aren't malware. I'm pretty much sure that they will disappear overtime and they could be testing for the Advertisements generated by uCoz.Do you still face the problem?
My Skype : xayan123 | My Twitter : @Officialxayaan
uID : - Zayaan Ibrahim | Need a professional design? Check out my Portfolio
BigHank

Message # 3 | 8:05 AM
Yes, the popups are still there.

I was under the impression that UCoz does not force ads. Mainly because they didn't the first 6 months for me. If they start such, I'm sure we'd all appreciate an e-mail notice at the least so that we can migrate our sites.

There are abso-fucking-lutely malware. I am a computer expert, and admittedly MWB-AM failed to detect them as such, and I did install one. Also, it's obvious if you interact with them. The one with the big red 'X' in the corner fools you into thinking that will close the popup. Rather opens a new window, prompts to save a file, and does NOT close the original popup.

One of them is "click update your flash". When I saw that, being a vigilant Internet expect, I went to adobe and updated. That ad would still appear.

The one that I did install was "this content requires media player 12.7", which fooled me because it appeared right after the first time I embedded media into my blog. The package is VisualBee. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=visualbee+bar

The installer actually installs it's wares before it gives you the common checklist to install more crapware. It installs a couple add ons to IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Common search bar type malware. However, this one refuses to leave my add/remove programs list, even after following VirtuaBee's pathetic instructions to uninstall. When I get around to it I'll remove the registry settings it added.

Thank you for stating your opinion as fact.
Post edited by BigHank - Sunday, 2013-07-28, 8:14 AM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 4 | 8:43 AM
Quote (BigHank)
I was under the impression that UCoz does not force ads. Mainly because they didn't the first 6 months for me. If they start such, I'm sure we'd all appreciate an e-mail notice at the least so that we can migrate our sites.

The uCoz ad banner is required (and is displayed) on all websites unless you have payed for its removal. It is nothing new. The medium of which the ad banner is displayed in, however, is under testing for certain network regions at the moment on some servers as far as I am aware.

Quote (BigHank)
There are abso-fucking-lutely malware. I am a computer expert, and admittedly MWB-AM failed to detect them as such, and I did install one. Also, it's obvious if you interact with them. The one with the big red 'X' in the corner fools you into thinking that will close the popup. Rather opens a new window, prompts to save a file, and does NOT close the original popup.

I have forwarded this on to our technicians, from what I can determine the malware is coming through the third party adds and not from uCoz itself, our technicians and management will handle this issue.

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
BigHank

Message # 5 | 11:18 AM
Thank you!
Sunny

Message # 6 | 2:02 PM
BigHank, Paradox is right, that's the uCoz ad banner and there is nothing unusual about it's appearance. It would be good if you could provide a screenshot of an antivirus software message with the warning. Or at least the download link that installs the software that you consider to be malware.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
BigHank

Message # 7 | 11:38 PM
Yes, there is something unusual about their appearance.

What is "Media Player HD"? Something pretending to be related to Microsoft Media Player. What is "Flash Player HD"? Something pretending to be related to Adobe Flash Player.

To repeat myself, what it particularly unusually is that the red 'x' in the upper right corner of one of those doesn't close the popup. It is obvious that it was designed to mislead people.

Appearance doesn't matter, but I opine they should all look dubious to anyone in the business.

One possibility to refute me would be to demonstrate than a reputable "Flash Player HD" even exists. It certainly isn't offered by Adobe. Alas, there is not way to confirm these things exist because they don't. Stating there is no problem is the same as saying you vouch for whatever programs the ads do install... so, tell us, what do they when you click on them?

I already relocated my site. I would even have deleted this uID account if I were allowed to, and wouldn't have been able to respond further.

From the information I gave, any staffer should have been able to confirm that at least one is an installer for VisualBee. After that, a reputable company would have taken steps to ensure that visitors are not affected by these, even as a last resort, shutting down all free sites until all is clear. (Don't get me wrong, I expect more companies in this age to be less than reputable.)

I don't need to conclude anything... but since you're all just deny, deny, deny, I feel you're forcing me too. You're getting add revenue from malware. At least one person on your team will advocate that tool bar installers are not viruses or worms or trojans. Nonetheless, they are still malware. It's a matter of degree. Some will be legit, Like Yahoo, some will be nefarious, like VisualBee

I already said MWB-AM did not catch it. That does not mean it is not malware, it means it had not been added to their database yet. Kaspersky reported in 2011 that 70,000 new malicious items are found per day.

Seriously, if you are unable to confirm this, you are either 1) not trying, or 2) incompetent. You do have a success hosting business, so I'll assume you're not incompetent.

Malware ads pay the best, so I have to conclude that's why you're using them to generate revenue from your free users.

Anway, I'm not bashing your company. I deleted my Facebook comment because there's no need for me to possibly sound like I'm trying to make you look bad. Having malware on your free users accounts will do that by itself.
Post edited by BigHank - Tuesday, 2013-07-30, 11:46 PM
Sunny

Message # 8 | 10:54 AM
BigHank, we will recheck the ads and will take the necessary measures.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
uCoz Community » Communication » uCoz Discussions » Malware popups
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: