uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Private messages (questions about PMs)
Private messages
Sunny

Message # 1 | 1:51 PM
Features and differences from PHP forums:

1. Total of 200 PMs are kept. All received PMs are saved, you can’t change it, you can only delete them.

2. If you don’t delete PMs manually and their number reaches 200, the oldest PMs will be automatically deleted if you receive a new one.

3. Administrators can’t read other users’ PMs. And this feature won’t be added in future (privacy of correspondence).

4. Smileys in PMs can be enabled in Module settings and confirmed in User Groups settings. In User Groups settings you can also enable BB codes in PMs.

5. Message length is limited to 1000 characters.

Code
<?IF($IS_NEW_PM$)?><a href="javascript://" id="upml" onclick="window.open('$PM_URL$','pmw','scrollbars=1,top=0,left=0,resizable=1,width=680,height=350');  return false;">[img]http://YOUR_SITE_URL/prt.gif[/img]</a>($UNREAD_PM$)<?ELSE?><a href="javascript://" id="upml" onclick="window.open('$PM_URL$','pmw','scrollbars=1,top=0,left=0,resizable=1,width=680,height=350');  return false;">Private messages</a> <?ENDIF?>

This code will help you to get a blinking or any other button when you receive a new PM, a number of unread messages in brackets and a link to a pop-up window when you click on it or on the image.

How can I see the private messages of users? I am the website owner and want to see the PM's of users.
You can't. Private messages are PRIVATE.

How to send a PM automatically, i.e. as soon as a user has registered he receives a private message automatically from the administration?
By standard means it is not possible. The system will send an email to the user's email address.

I have added the $UNREAD_PM$ code. But the number of unread messages is always displayed as zero and new messages are not colored red.
The system reacts to a new PM within 10 minutes, you just need to wait.

How can I delete a PM which was accidentally sent to a wrong user, I don’t want him to read it?
You can’t.

I can’t find the option "Notify by e-mail about new private messages". Where is it?
It is on the profile page.

Some users of my website have a sound "private message" playing each time they enter the site, though they don’t have new PMs. Why is it so?
Restore default forum templates or resave them.

PM is not working on my website – when I click on it an empty window opens.
Restore the default PM template.

I have already read the last PM but there is still an alert.
Delete cookies.

Is it possible to delete all users’ PMs?
No, you can delete only YOUR PMs.

Is it possible to let a user use PMs only after he has 50 posts in forum?
You can disable PM for the "Users" group and enable auto-transfer to the "Checked" group after a user has posted 50 messaged in forum and has confirmed his/her e-mail

What are the IDs or classes of the fields "Subject" and "Message text"?
#pmSubject and #message

Can the forum administrator send PMs to all users? If yes then how?
By means of the mass PM dispatch.

Is it possible to do the following:
1. Only the administrator can send PMs.
2. Users can only read PMs and send PMs to the administrator only.

No. Those who are not allowed to send PMs can’t read then as well.

How can I translate the text on the PM page into another language?
Partially by means of the Substitution of default phrases, partially by means of scripts.

Is it possible to block PMs from unwanted users?
You can block messages from groups only (the option "Accept private messages from the following groups only" in the profile)

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Sunny

Message # 46 | 9:37 AM
Quote (t4club)
A - All areas where PM settings are held obvious [to me and others]

Quote (t4club)
B - What ALL PM settings should be to therefore allow ALL users to Pm each other

CP -> Users -> User groups -> the group you need -> Send private messages;
CP -> Users -> Module settings -> Enable "Private messages" feature.

t4club

Message # 47 | 11:05 AM
Thank you both are set correctly ???
So if thats the only two areas that control PM messages why are we having issues with them ??
What else could be causing such issues to occur ....

Your invaluable assistance would be gatefully received thx in advance

Dougie

VW T4 - T5 Transporter community website and forum group at www.t4club.co.uk
Sunny

Message # 48 | 12:52 PM
t4club, if you mean the following problem:

Quote (t4club)
when trying it produces the following line of text "Admin" has blocked messages from "Members" group

then I have already replied:

Quote (Sunny)
You blocked messages from this group in your profile

You need to go to your profile -> Change details -> find the option "Accept private messages from the following groups only..." (at the bottom).

t4club

Message # 49 | 2:30 PM
Ok i shall try that as well thats a new area which is why i initially asked for ALL areas where PM's are controlled ??

Thx
Dougie

Post edited by t4club - Tuesday, 2010-08-10, 2:31 PM
Sunny

Message # 50 | 10:38 AM
Quote (t4club)
I now draw attention to the following inommily my own as Admins PM box on the bottom of my forum posts is non existant ???? where as ALL members have one i don't why ?? it means noone can PM me and furthermore they can not reply to any PMs i send as along with it not being there any i send have no reply function as far as i can see all my settings are correct

What exactly is non-existent? Provide a screenshot because now the problem is not very clear. Cannot you access your PM box?

t4club

Message # 51 | 12:42 PM
I'm afraid i dont know how to do a screenshot [again pressuming we know it all ???]

Basically when in my forum everyone else has a PM link/box below their posts i dont, i can send pm's to everyone/group however they CANNOT reply as NO REPLY link in message ???? is as clear as possible

I have tried absolutely everything that has been suggested this thread is not even about my issue yet you INSIST i use it ???? rapidly seeing what is happening here as knowone will see this nor answer it now really helpfull....

Post edited by t4club - Monday, 2010-08-16, 12:45 PM
Sunny

Message # 52 | 1:30 PM
Quote (t4club)
Basically when in my forum everyone else has a PM link/box below their posts i dont

You cannot see the PM button under your own forum posts because you cannot send PMs to yourself. But other users must be able to see the button.
I don't have the button under my posts as well:

Quote (t4club)
however they CANNOT reply as NO REPLY link in message ????

Please make a screenshot.

Attachments: 3392568.png (84.7 Kb)

t4club

Message # 53 | 1:53 PM
Quote (HorseIsleSense)
Is there any way that I can have it so certain user groups can VIEW their PMs, but not send them?
is the start of the conversation i reallt think this is nitpicking lording superiority over users again

I am saddened i thought more of you Sunny i truly thought you were better than some but it seesm not .....

I reiterate ive had it thx but no thx enough is enough i shall source my information elsewhere and would suggest all do likewise as ive said before and shall again support this forum is a pure waste of time i have repaetedly had to ask the same question in several different ways and still have not received an answer ?????

i shall remove my membership as of now as it is a waste of time asking anything to simply be put down, begiled an dmade to frequently look like a pain, mad or simply annoying when all i am trying to do is ask a question if you dont want or cant answer then dont would be a great answer really ....

Sunny

Message # 54 | 2:19 PM
Quote (t4club)
i have repaetedly had to ask the same question in several different ways and still have not received an answer ?????

t4club, if you do not want to answer my questions and to do what I ask in order to clarify your problem then I cannot help. After all, I cannot read users' thoughts in cases when they do not explain their problems in details.

If you do not have other questions about PMs then the thread is locked.

If anyone wants to ask a question about private messages, please do it in the original thread about PMs: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/7-2560-1

t4club

Message # 55 | 6:30 PM
With view to my continuing PM, saga it seems that in actual fact the Click on "Accept private messages from the following groups only... " and mark groups. is NOT there so it remains that i am able to send but not be sent Pm's ???? can anyone tell me if the script, html, code or whatever is possibly corrupt? where one might find it? and what may of caused this to be AWOL [like so many of my threads] anyway i seem to of tracked it down to this so anyoen got any suggetsions a note of what and where this profile information is stored as in what page so i can check the script against an untouched new one [although i have to say i dont fiddle with pages scripts, html or whatever]

The following is the way it should be:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User options:
Hide my e-mail
Receive messages from other site users
Disable avatars in forum messages
Disable user signatures in forum messages
Disable notifications about reputation changes
Disable notifications about received awards
Notify by e-mail about new private messages

Accept private messages from the following groups only...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is the way mine is

User options:
Hide my e-mail
Receive messages from other site users
Disable avatars in forum messages
Disable user signatures in forum messages
Disable notifications about reputation changes
Disable notifications about received awards
Notify by e-mail about new private messages

Hopefully this is a bit clearer to the reasons why and how to repair

Thx in advance to end this sorry saga once and for all .....

Dougie

Post edited by t4club - Monday, 2010-08-16, 6:33 PM
NTP

Message # 56 | 2:27 AM
Have you tried restoring default template?

Added (2010-08-16, 8:27 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Hm, it shows the correct way for me:

Web design and film == my 2 passions.

Genesis Inc. ~ New Horizons, New Beginnings
Sunny

Message # 57 | 10:51 AM
t4club, I logged in to your website and I have this option in my profile as well. This option is implemented by means of JavaScript, so I guess the problem arises because smth is blocking it from your side. What browser do you use? Try to check this option in another browser.
t4club

Message # 58 | 2:37 PM
Yes i know all other users have it but i dont which is the root of all these posts until this is solved i cant move on >>>> Members and guests all have it as do Moderators but why not Admins ??? my question remains i have always used IE and it operated perfectly find until about 1 month ago on the previous design and now this one ???

Any ideas would be most helpfull off course

@ NTP I am resident to restore default again as several changes have been made which is a lot of work for what is nothing to do with PM's to have to redo again and a lot of hassle for my users getting mucked about again...

Where and what is the Javascript exactly that would control this function in my set up as in on what page and what is teh script i should be looking for to check to ensure nothing has become corrupted btw it doesnt show in personal pages module anywhere but all others do ....

Sunny

Message # 59 | 3:08 PM
t4club, what IE version do you use? Try to update it to the latest version. And I also suggest that you use another browser because IE is really no good. Or at least use another browser to change this option and then stick back to IE.

Admins have this option as well (it was checked by uCoz techs), I guess you are the only one who has this problem on your website, which proves the problem is at your end. I cannot say what exactly causes the problem, it may be either browser or some other software on your PC. I think it is browser, try to check your browser settings: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript

t4club

Message # 60 | 5:13 PM
I will of course under duress and having to change my whole system to accomodate only UCOZ seems crazy ....

I find it very strange why everything gets blamed on our browsers looking through here several topics end this way suggesting we change to Firefox which is fine except that EVERYTHING else and i mean several other forums, websites, communities all operate fine in I.E so why not Ucoz??
I have not changed nor updated anything in the time that this has not operated [remembering that it did until about 1 month ago] so do not understand why it should make any difference what browser i use ........ Unless Ucoz was clearly built to operate in Firefox??? why this would be the case i cannot say but i do think if this is the case that it should be made VERY CLEAR to those joining up and spending many, many prescious hours, weeks and months building a website only to find such issues which after all are not caused by the user/s it might be worth asking high up in UCoz if it would be possible to make this clearer, that issues may be found if NOT USING FIREFOX can't see why when I.E is so widely used around on the vast majority of websites around the world that why then UCoz wouldn't have their system totally 100% every brower compliant, is beyond my comprehension...

After speaking to some techs i personaly know they reckon it is unbuilt flaws in Ucoz systems and nothing to do with I.E where Ucoz are blaming this rather than admitting it was built to be used ONLY in Firefox this being far closer to the truth of the matter, which is fine but to make users aware of this fully i would of thought was a pre-requisite and good manners ......

I may be wrong if i am i shall inform all, but thus far it looks that i'm not, i may change i may not but really find it amazing that this is the best solution that can be offered in many cases .....

I did ask for a copy of the part of the script that controls this function to check it is present? and correct and still await it ???? maybe if we could ensure it is indeed present complete and working it would at least erradicate it from my study ......

Also i am far from the only one with this issue, maybe this exact issue but several have very similar ones ?????

I look forward to your replies >>>>>

uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Private messages (questions about PMs)
Search: