uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Private messages (questions about PMs)
Private messages
Sunny

Message # 1 | 1:51 PM
Features and differences from PHP forums:

1. Total of 200 PMs are kept. All received PMs are saved, you can’t change it, you can only delete them.

2. If you don’t delete PMs manually and their number reaches 200, the oldest PMs will be automatically deleted if you receive a new one.

3. Administrators can’t read other users’ PMs. And this feature won’t be added in future (privacy of correspondence).

4. Smileys in PMs can be enabled in Module settings and confirmed in User Groups settings. In User Groups settings you can also enable BB codes in PMs.

5. Message length is limited to 1000 characters.

Code
<?IF($IS_NEW_PM$)?><a href="javascript://" id="upml" onclick="window.open('$PM_URL$','pmw','scrollbars=1,top=0,left=0,resizable=1,width=680,height=350');  return false;">[img]http://YOUR_SITE_URL/prt.gif[/img]</a>($UNREAD_PM$)<?ELSE?><a href="javascript://" id="upml" onclick="window.open('$PM_URL$','pmw','scrollbars=1,top=0,left=0,resizable=1,width=680,height=350');  return false;">Private messages</a> <?ENDIF?>

This code will help you to get a blinking or any other button when you receive a new PM, a number of unread messages in brackets and a link to a pop-up window when you click on it or on the image.

How can I see the private messages of users? I am the website owner and want to see the PM's of users.
You can't. Private messages are PRIVATE.

How to send a PM automatically, i.e. as soon as a user has registered he receives a private message automatically from the administration?
By standard means it is not possible. The system will send an email to the user's email address.

I have added the $UNREAD_PM$ code. But the number of unread messages is always displayed as zero and new messages are not colored red.
The system reacts to a new PM within 10 minutes, you just need to wait.

How can I delete a PM which was accidentally sent to a wrong user, I don’t want him to read it?
You can’t.

I can’t find the option "Notify by e-mail about new private messages". Where is it?
It is on the profile page.

Some users of my website have a sound "private message" playing each time they enter the site, though they don’t have new PMs. Why is it so?
Restore default forum templates or resave them.

PM is not working on my website – when I click on it an empty window opens.
Restore the default PM template.

I have already read the last PM but there is still an alert.
Delete cookies.

Is it possible to delete all users’ PMs?
No, you can delete only YOUR PMs.

Is it possible to let a user use PMs only after he has 50 posts in forum?
You can disable PM for the "Users" group and enable auto-transfer to the "Checked" group after a user has posted 50 messaged in forum and has confirmed his/her e-mail

What are the IDs or classes of the fields "Subject" and "Message text"?
#pmSubject and #message

Can the forum administrator send PMs to all users? If yes then how?
By means of the mass PM dispatch.

Is it possible to do the following:
1. Only the administrator can send PMs.
2. Users can only read PMs and send PMs to the administrator only.

No. Those who are not allowed to send PMs can’t read then as well.

How can I translate the text on the PM page into another language?
Partially by means of the Substitution of default phrases, partially by means of scripts.

Is it possible to block PMs from unwanted users?
You can block messages from groups only (the option "Accept private messages from the following groups only" in the profile)

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
MrsKira

Message # 61 | 7:33 PM
Can you stop crying and going off-topic for once? Internet Explorer is used by old people or old fashion people who refuse to understand FireFox with all its awesome features. Seriously, everywhere you go, you complain, cry and everything is bad for you. Why don't you do us all a favour by stop killing our nerves and leave?

You are like an old woman who complains of noisy kids and music at 6 PM only because you can't hear your 2021st part of your favourite soap opera, which you were watching all your life. If you are so unhappy of service - leave. You come here, insult Sunny, insult Dartz, then again nag Sunny, break forum rules, then insult uCoz, promise to leave, come back, cry again, and now again insult uCoz. If you are such an emo why don't you use razor?

Not to mention you are trying to use long and complicate words to sound smart. Learn to type them first.

Sorry for my off-topic, I can't take it anymore.

~ Time is the fire in which we burn...
Sunny

Message # 62 | 9:08 AM
t4club, all uCoz standard features work in ALL popular browsers, including IE. Yes, we often recommend Firefox as in our opinion it works better than other browsers - NOT only with uCoz, it works better in general. uCoz works fine in ALL browsers. And here is the proof:

This is a screenshot of an admin profile on your website in IE (IE8 to be more exact). This again proves that your problem is local. It is not necessarily your browser, it can be other software on your PC that you installed recently, such as antivirus, firewall etc. I asked you to try another browser in order to find out whether the problem is - in the browser or not. But it seems to me that you do not want to solve this problem as you did not answer any of my questions. I want to help but if you DO NOT want to GET this help, then I am afraid I can do nothing. I cannot access your website via your PC therefore I need additional info.

Quote (t4club)
I did ask for a copy of the part of the script that controls this function to check it is present? and correct and still await it ???? maybe if we could ensure it is indeed present complete and working it would at least erradicate it from my study ......

There is no need to check as this option is working on your website, for me and other users, which means that the script is present. Besides you do not have access to this script via your CP, therefore you couldn't edit it. And I checked the source code of the profile editing page and the script is present there.

Quote (t4club)
Also i am far from the only one with this issue, maybe this exact issue but several have very similar ones ?????

You are the first person with this very issue in my 2.5-year experience.

So, I see two options here:

1. You continue complaining and not giving any useful info that could help me and other techs clarify the problem.
2. You start answering my questions so that we could finally solve this problem.

If you choose the second option, then answer the following questions:

a. What IE version do you use? Do you have any plugins installed?
b. Did you try to use another browser? If no, then try another one.
c. If you try another browser and still have this problem, check this option from another PC if possible.

Attachments: 5937287.png (68.4 Kb)

t4club

Message # 63 | 12:10 PM
@ Mrs Kira you dont even deserve an answer but your going to get one anyway - just coz as you put it i like to moan, very far from it i havge several things i would rather be doing than spending my time on here repeatedly trying to sort the sams issue actually however as the same issue is still NOT sorted i have to i have said over and over again on here and elsewhere that i manage just with UCOZ system as i seem to understand it but screenshots, changing browsers and so and and so forth i dont but the presumption is that everyone does know which has been my complaint from day one all the so called techs, mods and such like automatically assume everyone knows everything GET USED TO IT WE DONT OTHERWISE WE WOULDNT ALL OFF US NEED SUPPORT really a very simple concept quicte a few have yet to grasp...... and one you might want to understand simple aqnswer for you however if you dont like my posts DONT READ THEM i'm sure your opinion would be very different if this was wrong with your set up.

@ SUNNY the reason i asked about the Firefox thing was quite simple not intending on upsetting or winding anyone up but i have read on several threads apart from my own where users are basically being told that install Firefox install Firefox and maybe just for good measure install firefox as then you will sort it as if it is this wonderous cure for all ailiments on Ucoz which then led me to wonder if Ucoz was only buiult for Firefox, admittedly my post could possibly of been a bit more sensitively written but i was in a hurry at the time so please accept my appoligies for that one i think also that due to Ucoz being used by multi countries and multi languages some things do not translate or come forward correctly which is also not helping much as i can see nothing wrong really with my posts above other than it could possibly of been written better to explain my reasons for asking ........

And lastly my problems i am not confident enough to swap about operating systems i have my computer on autoupdate as set when new about 6 months back to do so all software will be whatever is the newest versions off so pressumabely IE 8 is your answer [like you] so that rules that one out i do not even know where to find out ? what version i have i have had to buy a new computer only 6 months ago after a friend decided mine was to old and played about trying to update and sort out some issues with it hense my residence to do such things i do not understand i have a computer geek hopefully coming around today who will be able to safely do what you are asking me to in order to find out and i will off course report back his findings...

I have to add however when i phones and explained the issues he to said basically what i said about Firefox etc above and cannot after 15yrs building restoring and upgrading computers proffesionally is unable to understand how ANY website authoring programme can possibly be influenced by any changes to the machine they are being used upon but is reserving judgement untill he has seen both so you see i am getting seriously differing views here a supplementary point i should point out and have already is that NO software in teh month or so that this issue has been prevalent has been changed no new software has been added or removed and no core settings have been changed on my computer, i reiterate that strangely ONLY UCOZ has any problems this end

Yours
Dougie

Btw - Would it work opening a second Admin account and using it maybe ?????

VW T4 - T5 Transporter community website and forum group at www.t4club.co.uk
Post edited by t4club - Wednesday, 2010-08-18, 12:11 PM
Sunny

Message # 64 | 12:54 PM
Yes, most probably you have IE8. I will wait till your friend will help you answer the questions in my previous post.

Quote (t4club)
cannot after 15yrs building restoring and upgrading computers proffesionally is unable to understand how ANY website authoring programme can possibly be influenced by any changes to the machine they are being used upon

You may not believe me but authorization on a website can be influenced by software on the PC, and any webmaster will agree with me.

Quote (t4club)
Btw - Would it work opening a second Admin account and using it maybe ?????

I do not think that the problem is with the account itself but you can try in order to 100% exclude this possibility.

t4club

Message # 65 | 1:21 PM
Ok Sunny i have tried the following with ever stranger changes happening;

I swopped to Firefox as you suggested but choose it as NOT my default browser to i could switch back and forth so i logged in on Firefox NO CHANGE the PM box still doesn't appear in any posts i make and the line in my profile is NOT THERE however for the first time in a long long time i got an email telling me i had Pm message at t4club.ucoz.net ? dated today at 12.34pm [gmt] so i thought maybe it just doesnt show me so went to my PM box which is empty ???? what now ......

Added (2010-08-18, 7:21 Am)
---------------------------------------------
Also just for the hell of it i tried going to the url in the bar on your screenshot www.t4club.ucoz.net/index/11 which takes me to my profile only with the accept Pm's from ???? groups and it also has the add subscription to Updates tick box the one i see normally doesnt have doesn't have ?? so i have ticked all boxes now in this and saved it whether it works or not i will know in a few minutes but this is clearly NOt the page i am seeing when i go to my profile why????

Checked a new admin account but it comes up the same NOT present to acceept or deny groups

Also my user profile is at http://www.t4club.ucoz.net/index/11-1 not http://www.t4club.ucoz.net/index/11 as you had it ??? where i could make the changes but where said changes are NOT being saved or if they are they are not showing as saved if you see what i maen on my site on the page they show as saved but NOT in reality they aren't

Post edited by t4club - Wednesday, 2010-08-18, 1:37 PM
Sunny

Message # 66 | 1:39 PM
Quote (t4club)
NO CHANGE the PM box still doesn't appear in any posts i make

As I wrote you before, it must not appear under your own posts, only under posts of other users as you cannot send PMs to yourself.

Quote (t4club)
and the line in my profile is NOT THERE

So the problem is not with the browser (or JavaScript is disabled in both of them which I doubt). The next steps would be disabling of firewall and antivirus, of traffic saving software if any (I guess here you will need help of your friend). It would be also good if you could check your profile from another computer, e.g. your friend's. I suggest that you start with trying another computer, and if everything works fine on another computer, then we will proceed to checking your own computer. And did you try to create another admin profile as you asked?

Quote (t4club)
i got an email telling me i had Pm message at t4club.ucoz.net ? dated today at 12.34pm [gmt] so i thought maybe it just doesnt show me so went to my PM box which is empty ???? what now ......

The email could be delivered with the delay after you have already read the new PM. Let's see whether this problem will repeat.

t4club

Message # 67 | 2:07 PM
Yeah as answered above i created another Admin profile with the same results [ i am actually learning quite a lot here about my site and computer generally]

What i dont get is why would it just decide to change for no apparent reason though pressuming you are right and it is a software conflict why would it change of its own volition without any help from me or changes made by me lets be brutally honest here they dont change settings themselves do they ??? going to try my sons computer he has come in with his laptop although same internet connection but that shouldnt matter i suppose should it ??

Added (2010-08-18, 7:54 Am)
Ok on another computer it is exactly the same ??? cant access the part on my profile i have to but can access the index/11 to make changes etc but again they dont save ??

Now going to try with all software disabled that requires to be .....

Added (2010-08-18, 8:07 Am)
Surely if i log in as a member i should be able to see my Pm box to Pm me thus knowing it is operational ???

Post edited by t4club - Wednesday, 2010-08-18, 1:59 PM
Sunny

Message # 68 | 2:12 PM
t4club, there is no need to turn off the software and check, because as I can see now the problem is with the link. Normally when you click "Edit details" the URL is http://www.t4club.ucoz.net/index/11 Let me examine this matter.
Sunny

Message # 69 | 2:15 PM
Quote (t4club)
Surely if i log in as a member i should be able to see my Pm box to Pm me thus knowing it is operational ???

So you log in under one profile (member) and still do not see the PM under your another profile (admin)? What is your admin profile nickname on your website? I will check.

And one more question: how do you access your profile and edit it? What and where you click?

Quote (t4club)
where i could make the changes but where said changes are NOT being saved or if they are they are not showing as saved if you see what i maen on my site on the page they show as saved but NOT in reality they aren't

Please be more specific. You click "Save" and then go back to your profile: do the changes remain? Or what do you mean by " in reality they aren't" ?

t4club

Message # 70 | 3:34 PM
Ok
Quote (Sunny)
Please be more specific. You click "Save" and then go back to your profile: do the changes remain? Or what do you mean by " in reality they aren't" ?
- In answer to that if i go to index/11 i can add the groups required to get Pms from/to as i can add subscribe to updates but when i hit the save button at the foot of that page it doesn't save it anywhere ??

Quote (Sunny)
So you log in under one profile (member) and still do not see the PM under your another profile (admin)? What is your admin profile nickname on your website? I will check. My name is ADMIN stangely ??

And one more question: how do you access your profile and edit it? What and where you click?

I edit it in index/11/1 which is the only place it allows me to ???

All software has been disabled checked and restarted still the same even turned off my main firewall in windows still the sam eunder IE and Firefox.

Now can you see why i tried to access the scripts as i had tried all this several times and kept saying over and over again that i didnt have the text link to change it as i similarily do not have the subscript to my Updates link on my own personal profile .....

Added (2010-08-18, 9:34 Am)
I have a thought probably a dumb one but i shall try viewing as a mod/member lets say viewing my profile from there and see if it lets me change it then ... Looking very like a script missing, infected, or malfunctioning if you ask us but as yet we dont know why or where as you claim all are intact where now then ???

Dartz

Message # 71 | 3:57 PM
How you try to edit your profile?

1. You login to your website via 'login' button, then press 'My profile' and 'Edit user details' ?

2. You login into control panel, go to 'Users', then find yourself and click button ?

[... With uCoz since December 2 2007 ...]
Near

Message # 72 | 1:26 PM
hey can any one tell me how to remove the security code when sending PM's
Post edited by Near - Thursday, 2010-09-02, 1:26 PM
Sanjay_149

Message # 73 | 5:04 AM
Near, go to ur CP >> Users >>> User Groups >> Other and check No Security Code Required
Unlike computers, no human brain has ever said:" Hard drive full."
SkaterDude

Message # 74 | 5:48 PM
but i got a question the code for the blinking pm thing where do i put that
Animorph

Message # 75 | 6:05 PM
SkaterDude, that is simple , you can place it where you want it to appear smile
To busy building a passive income online ;)
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Private messages (questions about PMs)
Search: