• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Site Promotion » Sitemap , Robots.txt & Site promotion with metatags Queries
Sitemap , Robots.txt & Site promotion with metatags Queries
Loz

Message # 1 | 8:49 AM
I am currently going through the process of SEO for my sites regarding metatags etc.

I want to use the ucoz generated sitemap and standard supplied robots.txt to save effort etc. Unless absolutely forced to do otherwise.

I just have a couple of queries regarding the ucoz sitemap and robots.txt which effect the amount of places I have to customise for metatags.

1 - robots.txt directs the search engines via the sitemap file to the site, hence any page not mentioned on the sitemap file will not be indexed by the search engines - is this statement correct?

2 - It appears to be the case that pages created using Page Editor - Page management - add page are included in the sitemap file EXCEPT when they have a email form on the page. Is this correct??? - Hence (assuming this and number 1 above is correct) there is no need or SEO benefit of putting metatags on any of the pages that have email forms on them.

3 - When using modules such as 'ad board' or 'file catalog', the sitemap file only includes the entry page which directly relates to the 'Page with entry full text and its comments' in the Module Design Customisation. Is this correct?? - Hence (assuming this and number 1 above is correct) - there is no need or SEO benefit of putting metags in the 'Module Main Page', 'Page with section Contents' and 'Page with Category Contents'.

Thanks in Advance
Loz

khen

Message # 2 | 1:34 AM
Loz,

No. 1: No. Some pages (such Contact Us page or some site pages) not mentioned on the sitemap file are indexed by the search engines.

No. 2: Yes, Site Pages (pages created using Page Editor - Page management - add page, including pages with email forms) are indexed by search engines unless you edit your robots.txt to disallow certain web pages to index by search engines.

No. 3:
Quote (Loz)
When using modules such as 'ad board' or 'file catalog', the sitemap file only includes the entry page which directly relates to the 'Page with entry full text and its comments' in the Module Design Customisation. Is this correct??

No

Quote (Loz)
there is no need or SEO benefit of putting metags in the 'Module Main Page', 'Page with section Contents' and 'Page with Category Contents'.

Its up to you. Search engines such as Google love metatags.

'Module Main Page', 'Page with section Contents' and 'Page with Category Contents' are included in sitemap and are indexed by search engines.

Loz

Message # 3 | 1:51 AM
Khen,

Thanks a lot,

I initially started on the principal of meta-tagging every possible page (including pages with forms and 'page with category contents' - but then noticed that :-
pages with forms were NOT included on my ucoz generated sitemap file
'page with category contents' was NOT included on my ucoz generated sitemap file.
so assumed the search engine wouldnt find these pages because they weren't on the sitemap, so changed tact to only meta-tag pages that were included on my sitemap file.

I think i'll take what you have said and play it safe and go back to my original plan and met-tag every possible page.

Cheers
Loz

aleksey

Message # 4 | 10:37 AM
First we need to figure out which pages of your website are informative for users. You need to allow their indexation only.

Speaking about sitemap, search engines need this file to index "complicated" websites. The websites with twisted navigation where there are page that can be rarely reached by Google bots.

Show me your website. Specify what do you want to achieve and I will try to help.
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Site Promotion » Sitemap , Robots.txt & Site promotion with metatags Queries
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: