• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » Archives » Locked » Music downloading... piracy? (+1 rep :))
Music downloading... piracy?
Black-Mage

Message # 1 | 9:20 AM
Hey ppl!
yeah after reading the terms of use thingy i was wondering if it was okay for people to download free music that i originally got for free... is it related to piracy?

also on my CP, it says 8.99 Mb of disk space out of 405 Mb is in use. does this mean i have 405 Mb or 405 - 8.99 Mb?
thanks happy

◄]Registered 2012-04-15[►
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 2 | 10:06 AM
Black-Mage, it depends who originally developed them, what countries copyright law is applied to them, who owns the copyright, etc etc. If you are sharing on your site files which have any form of a copyright applied to them without prior consent of the copyright holder it is considered - under the copyright act of my country - piracy.

So a quick way to work out whether you can share them or not is to answer the following questions. If you answer with one of the answers in the brackets follow the directions, else continue. Of course understand this is a general guide and if you have been given a cover of a song by a friend it is all up to what you decide, I am advising however you read up on the copyright law of the US, UK, and maybe Japan if you feel it necessary. wink

This small evaluation has been developed in accordance with the Australian Copyright Act. Laws differ from country to country so it is advised to check the Copyright Law of your own country of residence before continuing.

Is this my own work? [Yes - Skip to ending 2]
Is there a copyright applied to the file in question? [No - Skip to ending 2]
Do I have explicit permission from the copyright owner(s) to share this file? [Yes - Skip to ending 2]
Is the file licensed under the Creative Commons license? [Yes - Ending 2] [No - Ending 1]

Ending: You can not share this file.

Ending 2: You can share this file!

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Sunny

Message # 3 | 10:09 AM
Quote (Black-Mage)
download free music that i originally got for free...

If the music is distributed for free, there are no problems. If it is protected by a copyright, the website can be blocked upon the complaint from the copyright holder.

Quote (Black-Mage)
405 - 8.99 Mb

This one.

Please continue the discussion in the following thread: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/6-13762-1

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Black-Mage

Message # 4 | 10:18 AM
thanks for helping +1 to both biggrin

Post edited by Black-Mage - Tuesday, 2012-05-15, 10:29 AM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 5 | 10:20 AM
Black-Mage, just another thing to know. If a copyright complaint is lodged against your website - under the copyright law of my country - all digitalised media must be given up for primary discovery. So an examiner would have full access to your computer, web file manager, etc. I'm not sure if that's how it would work as uCoz block the sites/remove them however it's just something to keep in mind. wink
Black-Mage

Message # 6 | 10:30 AM
Quote (Paradox)
an examiner would have full access to your computer

i work on school computers... different ones almost every time?

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 7 | 10:31 AM
Black-Mage, if you only work from school computers. Well yeah, not good for the school if that's how the copyright laws work over there. wink
Black-Mage

Message # 8 | 10:34 AM
ill keep that in mind thank you

Sunny

Message # 9 | 12:17 PM
Quote (Paradox)
So an examiner would have full access to your computer, web file manager, etc. I'm not sure if that's how it would work as uCoz block the sites/remove them however it's just something to keep in mind.

Such things can be done by the authorized bodies only. uCoz never does such things and has no right to do this. If a website is reported for copyright infringement, as a rule our Abuse Team sends a notification to the website owner, and if the owner does not react within a certain period of time, the website is blocked.

Sunny

Message # 10 | 12:18 PM
All further discussions go here: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/6-13762-1

Locked.

uCoz Community » Archives » Locked » Music downloading... piracy? (+1 rep :))
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: