• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » upload html via zip file
upload html via zip file
userid361

Message # 1 | 8:28 PM
I would like to zip some HTML files, upload the zip file, and then unzip on uCoz. How?
Eriko
Pokémon Master

Message # 2 | 2:36 AM
userid361, You can't unzip files on the File Manager, but why would you like to zip the file and unzip it in the file manager? That doesn't make sense. Just upload it without zipping it.
userid361

Message # 3 | 1:46 PM
(edited 2012-07-14)

You had it right initially when you said "files," but then you started to say "the file." Think multiple files. It's faster to zip several html files and select the one zip file for upload than to select several html files for upload. Tripod supports the zip upload, but I would rather use uCoz.
Post edited by userid361 - Saturday, 2012-07-14, 1:49 PM
Eriko
Pokémon Master

Message # 4 | 1:50 PM
userid361, okay.. file.. the file.. whichever you prefer..

I got your point. but unfortunately, you can't unzip a file on the file manager, and besides.. your file manager is 400mb only.. I don't think uploading a file inside something small like that will take you long.. not unless you bought some expansions for it..
userid361

Message # 5 | 2:37 PM
The compression and upload time is not the issue. The issue is that you have to select several files, one by one. For each file, you must click browse, select the file, select open, click the plus icon to continue to the next file. That's four clicks per file. 25 files takes 100 clicks.

It would be faster to put all the files into a zip file by selecting the first HTML file, holding the shift key, selecting the last HTML file, right-click and click "send to zip file." Then you click browse, select the zip file, and select open. That's 7 clicks. 25 files takes 7 clicks.

Added (2012-07-14, 8:37 AM)
---------------------------------------------
I realize that uCoz does not currently support the zip upload. I'm suggesting that they put it high on their task list because it's an important feature.

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 6 | 2:46 PM
Quote (userid361)
I'm suggesting that they put it high on their task list because it's an important feature.

userid361, uCoz provides the use of FTP for these uses. Many professional web systems predominantly use FTP for file upload/management and have no need for the use of Zip Files for resource upload.

You can find more information on FTP here: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/37-2500-1#11129

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Sunny

Message # 7 | 11:22 AM
userid361, Paradox is right, it's better to use FTP for multiple uploads BUT for .html files you can use only File Manager, .html files cannot be uploaded via FTP. uCoz is the system for creation of dynamic pages (via the Page Editor module), therefore we do not have tools for multiple uploading of static pages.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
userid361

Message # 8 | 11:41 PM
Why doesn't uCoz allow users to use both Page Editor and FTP upload of HTML files?
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 9 | 2:12 AM
userid361,

Quote (Sunny)
uCoz is the system for creation of dynamic pages (via the Page Editor module), therefore we do not have tools for multiple uploading of static pages.

It is not allowed as uCoz is not a hosting company. They provide a fully functional system to create a website - the system isn't to be used as a host for static website pages.

userid361

Message # 10 | 2:38 AM
You beg the question.
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 11 | 7:45 AM
userid361, we do not allow it so that users an not make websites out of static pages. That is why, it will not be added so that it is difficult for users to upload lots and lots of static pages. The system allows for the creation and management of a website efficiently and in most cases more efficiently than the use of static pages - there is no use "hosting" a website on uCoz when uCoz itself can be used to create one more efficiently.
userid361

Message # 12 | 1:54 PM
The user is in a better position to judge what is more efficient for his site. Also, doesn't the uCoz page editor make it more difficult for the user to move to a different web host?
Sunny

Message # 13 | 10:42 AM
Quote (userid361)
The user is in a better position to judge what is more efficient for his site.

Yes. That's why a user can choose a hosting service or a website builder that meets his needs best of all. uCoz is not a hosting service, it's not the best place to create a website, consisting of static .html pages.

Quote (userid361)
Also, doesn't the uCoz page editor make it more difficult for the user to move to a different web host?

Well, we expect that our users won't leave smile uCoz is not a web host, it's a website builder, so moving to another host is not as easy as re-uploading of pages.

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » upload html via zip file
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: