• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » General Information » Paid Services » New user registration restrictions (How to stop just anyone from joining my website.)
New user registration restrictions
IGC_D34TH

Message # 1 | 1:19 AM
I co-own and operate a website for an xbox 360 community (a clan/community of gamers who all join and run the same tags). My question is rather simple yet difficult at the same time. How would i add a "security question" or "community password" that new users would have to have before they could complete the registration process? Lets me state that all new users will be hand picked by members of the website and be walked through the registration process and given the "answer/password". Basically, i want to stop just anyone from being able to sign up on my website and seeing what information i have posted. Now, i have read that i could restrict user privileges and move each acceptable member over to "checked", but honestly, that just seems like it would be way to much unneeded work. I just want to add a security question. If i could customize the captcha that would be great. Any information would be great and i do thank you in advanced.

Don't type your posts in all caps. Edited by Sunny.
Post edited by IGC_D34TH - Thursday, 2013-11-28, 1:21 AM
Sunny

Message # 2 | 9:54 AM
IGC_D34TH, I'm afraid that's not possible. And, honestly speaking, I don't see how

Quote IGC_D34TH ()
Lets me state that all new users will be hand picked by members of the website and be walked through the registration process and given the "answer/password".

is less work than manual change of a user's group. The group permissions need to be customized only once.

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
IGC_D34TH

Message # 3 | 4:57 PM
Setting permissions is hardly any work what so ever. However, manually placing each individual person that signs up onto my site into a "Checked" group is just absurd lol. I know that a password can be set for a website registration. So when you say it is not possible, you are speaking from a UCOZ point of view correct? The last site i was with had a similar setup. I just do not want anyone to be able to register on my website. I want to know how to prevent this from happening without having to move each member over to a particular group. Just seems that it would be alot easier to prevent unwanted traffic on my site.
NTP

Message # 4 | 2:44 AM
Have you considered password protecting the registration page?
Web design and film == my 2 passions.

Genesis Inc. ~ New Horizons, New Beginnings
IGC_D34TH

Message # 5 | 3:47 AM
just put up a security question to where i would provide the would be user with the correct answer.
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 6 | 3:53 AM
IGC_D34TH, you can either use a third party script and password protect the page, or alternatively disable user registration except during times where you want users to be able to register by disabling the Users module. If you do, however, disable the Users module you will need to manually install a block or link to the login form for users to be able to login.

Good luck. wink

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
IGC_D34TH

Message # 7 | 8:18 AM
Paradox,

I am VERY new to website design and building. Where would i find a 3rd party script that would allow me to do this? Secondly, how would i apply said script. Many thanks in advance.
uCoz Community » General Information » Paid Services » New user registration restrictions (How to stop just anyone from joining my website.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: