• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Why cant we download uCoz and work offline?
Why cant we download uCoz and work offline?
Harina

Message # 1 | 3:49 AM
Just like word press or drupal! Because what if uCoz close down what security do we have on our projects. We are a team building a complex social network on Ucoz and all what we do can wonder if yucoz can still exist for more 100 years or more...or whatif it will close down and our projects die our sweat all wasted.
Gromov

Message # 2 | 8:37 AM
Harina, first of all, we're not planning to close down uCoz. If after 100 years we're still here it would be a great achievement indeed, but nobody can see that far in the future of course. Such a feature you're suggesting won't be realized in the nearest future.

For example, there was ovo.bg service, that was closed, all the users received numerous emails about the service being closed + a couple of months to transfer their websites to uCoz (in that specific case).

If you're worried about that, you can always create a website copy that will allow you to recreate your website in the future.

P.S.: I think that in 100 years websites won't be very up to date thing biggrin
Datecity

Message # 3 | 11:18 AM
Gromov, what do you think will be in existent in hundred years? Hopes alien will have killed us all tongue I always wanted to ask the question Harina asked. I also wondered always what uCoz is planning for our projects if it closes down.....never know!!! Putin will order its closure with immediate effect lol.

To get on point....i am also planning to start a big social networking project in ucoz system and still making research. Looks like i will need 5gb of space per day because its going to be international and lots more people uploading content. So i am wondering if Ucoz can provide such space for one website.

If i need 5gb of space per day then in a month it will be much space consumed. Is there a separate package for buying such huge chunks of space?
Gromov

Message # 4 | 12:36 PM
Datecity, maybe it will be as you've said, maybe not, we'll see (or not) biggrin

As for your question about the space etc. you may start with the Maximal plan, but if it will be as huge as you're saying you need to consider the VIP package. But it can be discussed with the managers in charge of that only.
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 5 | 6:13 PM
My personal take on this: uCoz is a great platform for projects of almost any complexity. But for a project as big as a social networking site, I don't think that relying on any CMS (Content Management System) platform is a viable option. Social networks automatically imply things like complexity, scalability, and resources. It's already difficult enough to make a full-fledged (big or complex, as you name it) social network, but working together with the limitations of the uCoz system makes it a little more difficult.

Now you're given two options: use a CMS for a social network vs. make your own thing. Each has its own pros and cons.

Going for a CMS:

PROS:
  • cheap! (though uCoz VIP can get pretty expensive too)
  • you can probably maintain the site yourself
  • resources are handled by someone else

CONS:
  • you might have a hard time implementing certain features
  • resource limitations (disk space, functionality, etc.)
  • little to no room for scalability

Making your own thing:

PROS:
  • is reliable
  • is scalable if developed well
  • freedom, total control!

CONS:
  • might cost you a fortune (server fees, content delivery networks, engineers, developers, designers, system administrators, etc.), hard to maintain only by yourself and on a low budget
  • takes longer to develop (depending on the number of employees you have)

What you're going for really is a matter of preference. It depends on your budget and future plans. I'm not saying it's not possible to make a not-so-big social network in uCoz or any other CMS, but it definitely requires a lot of time and dedication. Sites like the now defunct Kuru Anime are a proof of how extensible the uCoz CMS is.

Okay, this didn't really answer the original question, but I felt like this is something that should be taken into consideration when making decisions like this tongue

hey i'm joe and i do not work for the company anymore, please contact other staff or tech support
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
Harina

Message # 6 | 7:17 AM
bigblog, This is quite a helpful info. I have encountered quite a number of limitations in the ucoz system some of which i have used loopholes within the system design to bypass them for example replacing codes with pure HTML. The only big problem giving me a headache is auto moderation of adult and gory content like Facebook does.

Well for my case i am not planning a not so big social network but want to stay in business for quite a long time and my only worry is for how long is ucoz going to exist. I am planning for only one million users to fit in my budget.

My extensive research landed me on uCoz which outweighed most CMS on functionality and design management plus the modules provided but one problem with ucoz is slow loading pages and not-so-much informed support. Seems ucoz created a system itself cant fully grasp its full functionality. I have solved most problems by myself ucoz staff had told me were totally impossible to solve in the system.

So i need some small help here because seems you know well. I want to display something on file catalog appearance of material template only seen by the author. for example <?if(this post is mine?>I can see this<?endif?> <?if(this post is not mine)?>I can not see this<?endif?>
Soldierdevil

Message # 7 | 7:57 AM
Harina, if you want to display something to only the post author in the appearance of message template do this
Code
<?if($MODER_PANEL$)?>Put something here for the post author<?endif?>

That code will display information even to the admin and mods or any other group that can edit or remove that post. If you want exclude the admin and mods from viewing that info then do this

Code
<?if($MODER_PANEL$)?><?if($CUR_GROUP_ID$=='4' || $CUR_GROUP_ID$=='3' )?><?else?>Put something here for the post author<?endif?><?endif?>

If you want to show for only admins and mods the do this

Code
<?if($MODER_PANEL$)?><?if($CUR_GROUP_ID$=='4' || $CUR_GROUP_ID$=='3' )?>Put something here for the post author<?endif?><?endif?>

I also one time contacted support about this issue and they told me i needed PHP to achieve this unknowingly i could just play around with system codes

Added (2018-10-25, 8:04 AM)
---------------------------------------------
and if you want the post author not to see some content in his own entry use this condition

Code
<?if(!$MODER_PANEL$)?>Do not show this to the post author<?endif?>

Systems developer
Harina

Message # 8 | 7:07 AM
Soldierdevil, how did i not figure that out! It was so easy....anyways thank you. I was also asking on the other thread how to display entry add/edit of file catalog in pop up window. Please help me explain in detail how i can achieve that. I am trying to create a user friendly website by simplifying everything for the users where they can do everything like comment, edit entry without leaving the entry page.
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Why cant we download uCoz and work offline?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: