• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Intrusive Advertising Space (Intrusive Advertising Space That Is Difficult To Close)
Intrusive Advertising Space
LinearMan

Message # 1 | 3:25 PM
My website 21stcenturystoa.ucoz.com is over 3 years old, but for the last 3 months it has been spoiled by an intrusive advertising corner in the top-right (see attached screenshot). Naturally, site visitors try to click on the "X" to close it, but instead of the advert closing they are taken into a website called moshgame.com! They can't be expected to notice a tiny vertical "CLOSE" button on the left of (but just outside) the advertising space. WHY DOESN'T CLICKING THE "X" CLOSE THE SUBWINDOW??? That sort of advert is unethical and shouldn't be allowed.
Another thing: when visitors scroll down the page, the advertising space scrolls down with it obstructing parts of my picture. Sometimes the advertising space is blank, but it still blanks out parts of my pictures when visitors scroll down the page.
I never used to have this problem. I have reported it before and been given unhelpful advice about control-panel settings; they haven't solved the problem.
Attachments: 6160438.png (470.8 Kb)
Sunny

Message # 2 | 4:36 PM
LinearMan, the banner on your screenshot can be removed only after upgrading to a premium plan starting from the Basic one: http://www.ucoz.com/pricing The banner is displayed on all free websites.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
LinearMan

Message # 3 | 5:49 PM
You haven't answered why the banner only appeared some three years after I created the website. You haven't answered why it doesn't close when visitors click on the "X". You haven't answered why it doesn't scroll up with the page (although conceivably it might have something to do with my customising the header block).

I'm not objecting to an advertising banner that closes when you click on the "X". Surely you can't dispute that it is misleading to have an "X" in the banner that takes you a registration form instead of closing it. What would Advertising Standards say?
Sunny

Message # 4 | 1:38 PM
The ad banner appears one week after website's creation. It could have looked differently before, but uCoz reserves the right to change the look of the ad banner at any time. The close button is the one shown below:

The other X is part of the ad.
The ad scrolling with the page is how it is set up, it's not because of your header modifications.

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
LinearMan

Message # 5 | 2:32 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my queries. My first message did state that I personally knew where the banner "close" button was; it is my site visitors who are unlikely to spot it (a) because it is small and (b) because people do not expect to look all round the boundary of a window to discover how to close it. Surely the banner "close" button should be more prominent.
Secondly, I appreciate that the internal "X" is a part of the advert, but surely uCoz shouldn't allow adverts with a "X" that takes you to a registration page instead of closing the ad. uCoz is encouraging bad practice by allowing misleading adverts.
I'm surprised nobody else has complained.
Cyberdasm

Message # 6 | 7:04 AM
LinearMan, There is no reason to complained about the ucoz ad banner because when you close it when log-in already the ads will only be seen once.
1F4BF3B
Post edited by Cyberdasm - Sunday, 2016-02-14, 7:01 AM
LinearMan

Message # 7 | 1:56 PM
Cyberasm seems confused. I never complained about x rated ads, nor do I object in principle to ads on free websites. My last post (message number 5) merely suggested the close button for ads should be more conspicuous, and that ucoz should not allow misleading adverts with an "X" which doesn't close it.
Cyberdasm

Message # 8 | 7:02 AM
LinearMan, I've edited my statement.
1F4BF3B
LinearMan

Message # 9 | 4:15 PM
I think it best if I pursue the issue of adverts with fake "close" buttons using the thread "Ads on Website". I am happy for the thread "Intrusive Advertising Space" to be closed, discontinued, or whatever.
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Site Users » Intrusive Advertising Space (Intrusive Advertising Space That Is Difficult To Close)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: