• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Eriko  
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Photo Albums » Photos have bigger "weight" after upload
Photos have bigger "weight" after upload
Mar1aN

Message # 1 | 4:16 PM
Why do photos have more kilobits after i upload them using /photo/0-0-0-1?

Recently i uploaded a image of 363 KB, after the upload was complete, i downloaded the image stored on my website. She had 639 KB! wacko

I use watermark type: Ordinary text.
I don't have this problem when i upload images using the file manager.

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 2 | 4:04 AM
Mar1aN, when you upload to the uCoz (excluding the use of the file manager), I can assume like most modern web services they run it through their own algorithms when applying the watermark and such. This can lead to the file size being larger and not as compressed to preserve the data quality of the original image after it has been processed.
Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Mar1aN

Message # 3 | 1:53 PM
Are you telling me that in the future, i will pay for a service that doubles the kilobytes of my images?
So practically when i choose a premium plan, i will be forced to pay for a service that makes my website load slower.
What a gread deal! wink
I don't know who had this idea, but he should receive a reward!

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 4 | 2:58 PM
Mar1aN, as it now seems necessary - please present a case URL and we'll investigate the claim.

Realistically from the personal perspective of a programmer this is an unavoidable outcome for users; when making server-side adjustments they either have the option of their files staying the smaller size and drastically losing quality, or otherwise increasing the size slightly to retain a close to lossless quality image - this all depending on the algorithm applied. Different file formats will also offer differed file sizes due to factors relating to colour profiling, metadata, compression, and numerous others. Keep in mind if you upload a .gif image and it's being saved with watermark as a .jpg the .jpg is going to have a larger file size than the original image.

Your comments are taken on board and we do our best to address your concerns with the knowledge we have. Unfortunately I do not have intrinsic knowledge of the internal system mechanics and can only provide explanations as I would interpret them myself coming from a technical background. wink

Mar1aN

Message # 5 | 4:49 PM
Quote Paradox ()
Mar1aN, as it now seems necessary - please present a case URL and we'll investigate the claim.

It's pretty simple, upload images from facebook or some saved using photoshop(File->Save for Web... - select JPEG and Medium).
You will see big changes in the KB.

Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 6 | 3:23 AM
Mar1aN, we've tested this ourselves and we're unable to reproduce the sizeable changes you're referring to. Please provide a URL where this has occurred, the original image would also help us identify why there's been such a sizeable change.
uCoz Community » uCoz Modules » Photo Albums » Photos have bigger "weight" after upload
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: