• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » General Information » uCoz Updates & Announcements » New Profiles at uID.me
New Profiles at uID.me
Sunny

Message # 1 | 3:56 PM

We want to announce a new release today!
On one hand, it is an update, as global uID profiles already existed.
On the other hand, what was started and never finished several years ago and what we have now don't have much in common.
Therefore, we would like to introduce our new service - personal profiles builder on the basis of our global uID authorization system!

Why Launch It?

You probably want to know why uCoz decided to launch such project, why you might need it etc. It's quite apparent.
Some time ago free web hosts, and even uCoz at the dawn of its existence, were associated with personal home pages. Nowadays such personal home pages are no longer popular and people rarely create them as this niche has been taken by social networks. Besides, the needs and interests of an average Internet user have changed.
But there are lots of different social networks on the Internet, and the desire to have a personal representation on the Web still exists.
So, how can you briefly present yourself on the Web and view other profiles?
We've decided it should look somewhat like this:

What's Ahead

In fact, while we were working on the new profiles, we came to the conclusion that everything can be done better and the information can be presented differently. But it would considerably delay the release, and we didn't want it to happen. We are already planning uID V2, but we'll probably give our users a choice which profile type to use - the one we have now or the V2 type.
But let's talk about what we have now, and not about what we will maybe have in future. We'll keep you informed and our future development plans will depend mostly on our users and their needs, and not on the ideas of our developers.

For those, who might say that what we are doing here is not necessary and we should rather work on uCoz itself, we would like to give some explanations.

We've gained quite good speed of developing new features and improving the existing functionality. However, our main priority now is not speed but quality: we are trying to test all new features as thoroughly as possible before they are queued for releasing.

Some Facts

1. The team working on this project is a separate division, not familiar with the uCoz code, who use quite different principles of development and are even located separately. When the team was just formed we tried to involve some of the developers into working on uCoz codes, but this wasn't effective. They work much better on separate projects.

2. Any uCoz website has the Users module, and users have profiles on the websites. And these profiles are functionally and morally outdated. Don't panic! smile We are not going to replace local profiles by global profiles etc.
We are rather trying to rethink how user profiles should and can look, including the profiles on uCoz websites. We are planning to provide the possibility to choose new user profiles on websites. And on websites with global authorization method we are going to integrate the profiles with the new uID profiles. But website profiles will look differently, and you will still be able to manage them. They will remain within the websites. The integration will make user profiles more valuable, it will be more clear who a user is. And of course the appearance and functionality will improve. Therefore this release will be advantageous for the uCoz platform as well.

We want to believe that the new service will be useful, and you will know exactly what link you want to add to your Skype profile, or on a forum profile, or even as additional info on your resume.

We are waiting for your questions, suggestions and cool personal profiles, created at www.uid.me !
Attachments: 2777603.png (221.3 Kb) · 3995424.png (198.6 Kb)

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Eriko
Pokémon Master

Message # 2 | 4:31 PM
Cool. :P Keep up the good work! biggrin
Cyberdasm

Message # 3 | 1:29 PM
awesome update.. smile
1F4BF3B
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 4 | 10:34 PM
I noticed it isn't available in Hungarian language sad
If you want, I will translate it wink Where can I?

hey i'm joe and i do not work for the company anymore, please contact other staff or tech support
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
Urs

Message # 5 | 11:59 PM
Basically this is like a social network that uCoz has build right ?

You are offering 3 major ways to join from what i can see.

Is there any advantage to make and use an account with uID authorization for uCoz users VS log in with Yandex mail (or other accounts) VS simply sign up with no previous account ?

These questions should be answered in a FAQ.
If your FB account gets blocked for no apparent reason (just imagine) it will lock your access from uID site too right ?
All users must know this and choose the best option when they register. But first they need to know more.

Thank you.

Thassos Island Portal :
https://thassos.one
Post edited by Urs - Sunday, 2013-12-08, 0:00 AM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 6 | 2:23 AM
bigblog, I believe the service will be translated for all localisations over time, however, as Sunny has said the team that manages uID is a separate team so it will be at the discretion of their direction. Most likely they will wait until the service has been running without a hitch for a period of time before it will be translated to all languages as seen required. smile

Quote Urs ()
Basically this is like a social network that uCoz has build right ?

Speaking from my personal basis, this is pretty much what uNet was supposed to be. uID is what the service was aiming to achieve to some degree with uNet, except they found a more professionally fundamental structure to form it around (such as that of a professional profile).

Quote Urs ()
Is there any advantage to make and use an account with uID authorization for uCoz users VS log in with Yandex mail (or other accounts) VS simply sign up with no previous account ?

We are currently working on support information and what not for uID. smile

As to your question, the old uID authorisation method is going to be phased out, already users who have signed up (logged in) to the new uID profiles service (using the same email as used with your uCoz account) will find links within the system to uID profiles are linking to the new profiles instead of the old deprecated ones. I'm not aware the specifics of what is going to happen with Webtop and such, however, over the next few months I can guarantee our users will notice a definite shift to the newer system as the global uID update continues.

The social networking login option makes use of the email attached to your social networking account, possibly the same with password however I will have to double check on that. So even if your Facebook account is deactivated you will have access to your profile via the email. So there's not much difference between that and registering from scratch. Hope that helped to avail any queries. smile

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Urs

Message # 7 | 11:02 AM
So basically, do you recommend to wait for the new uID V2 system that works with our current accounts or do we sign up new accounts (that have no connection with our ucoz account) ?

local profiles -> provide the possibility to choose new user profiles on websites.

On websites with global authorization method -> integrate the profiles with the new uID profiles.

Thassos Island Portal :
https://thassos.one
Sunny

Message # 8 | 2:29 PM
Urs, the new uID.me is not exactly a social network. It's rather a service to create an "online business card", where you can integrate all the social media you use, as well as share some other info, and then just use this link wherever you need. At the moment the new uID is not connected to uCoz accounts (except for the fact that you can use your existing account to log in to the new uID.me). Therefore, it's up to you to decide whether you want to use the new uID now, as an autonomous service, or wait till it is integrated with uCoz.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Raver

Message # 9 | 4:56 PM
bigblog, regarding language localizations, the service is currently available in 8 languages:
(Russian, English, Romanian, Arabic, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish) and we are not planning to add new languages anytime soon.

Of course, changes in strategy can occur in the long-term but this will not happen with the project on the short-run.
uCoz Community » General Information » uCoz Updates & Announcements » New Profiles at uID.me
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: