This information is intended for Windows users. Some theory
Traceroute is a computer network tool used to determine the route taken by packets across an IP network. Traceroute is often used for network troubleshooting. By showing a list of routers traversed, it allows the user to identify the path taken to reach a particular destination on the network. This can help identify routing problems or firewalls that may be blocking access to a site.
More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute Why is it needed?
Sometimes a website (as a rule you are worried about your own site) is not accessible for you.
This may be caused by the following:
1. Problems on the server (including maintenance work).
2. Problems with your ISP.
3. Problems with the channel.
4. Problems with your browser.
5. You are blocked.
And some other.
Traceroute will help to identify the situation. So, when you contact Technical Support with the problem that your site is not accessible, attach also the tracert data
. It will save time and will let us solve the problem quicker.
Before you report that your website is inaccessible, you should define whether it is your personal problem or it is global.
If your site is fully inaccessible we probably know about it but you can still remind us about it one more time.
In order to approximately define what the problem is
, do the following:
- Try to open the website in another browser. If it opens then there are some problems with your browser or firewall settings.
- Ask your friends that use other ISP's services or better live in other regions to open your website. If they can do this and you cannot then most likely there are some problems with your provider or channel, however other variants are also possible. In this case it is worth to run a traceroute, it will help to identify the problem.
- You can also use special services to check your website availability, e.g. http://host-tracker.com
Enter your site URL and click on "check". After some time you'll see the availability of the website from different parts of the world. If the result is "Оk" then it's your local problem.
How to perform a traceroute
" and then "Run
" (without quotes) and click "Оk" (or press "Enter").
In the command line that will appear type (without quotes) "tracert url_of_the_site
e.g. if we want to perform a traceroute of ucoz.com we must type "tracert ucoz.com" and press "Enter". *Do not forget to replace ucoz.com by the address of the website which you cannot access.
Then you might want to send the received data to our Technical Support. It is not necessary to make a screenshot, you can just copy the data and send them as text. To do this press right mouse click -> select all. Then press Enter. Now the data are in the Clipboard. Paste them into an email message by means of the right mouse click -> Paste (or ctrl + V)
Traceroute from different parts of the world: http://www.traceroute.org/ http://www.tracert.com/trace_exe.html
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.