• Page 1 of 1
uCoz Community » General Information » About uCoz Community Forum » Traceroute (tracert command) and tracetcp (How to use it and what for)
Traceroute (tracert command) and tracetcp
Sunny

Message # 1 | 11:04 AM
This information is intended for Windows users.

Some theory:
Traceroute is a computer network tool used to determine the route taken by packets across an IP network. Traceroute is often used for network troubleshooting. By showing a list of routers traversed, it allows the user to identify the path taken to reach a particular destination on the network. This can help identify routing problems or firewalls that may be blocking access to a site.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

Why is it needed?
Sometimes a website (as a rule you are worried about your own site) is not accessible for you.

This may be caused by the following:
1. Problems on the server (including maintenance work).
2. Problems with your ISP.
3. Problems with the channel.
4. Problems with your browser.
5. You are blocked.
And some other.

Traceroute will help to identify the situation. So, when you contact Technical Support with the problem that your site is not accessible, attach also the tracert data. It will save time and will let us solve the problem quicker.

Before you report that your website is inaccessible, you should define whether it is your personal problem or it is global. If your site is fully inaccessible we probably know about it but you can still remind us about it one more time.

In order to approximately define what the problem is, do the following:

• Try to open the website in another browser. If it opens then there are some problems with your browser or firewall settings.
  • Ask your friends that use other ISP's services or better live in other regions to open your website. If they can do this and you cannot then most likely there are some problems with your provider or channel, however other variants are also possible. In this case it is worth to run a traceroute, it will help to identify the problem.
  • You can also use special services to check your website availability, e.g. http://host-tracker.com
    Enter your site URL and click on "check". After some time you'll see the availability of the website from different parts of the world. If the result is "Оk" then it's your local problem.

How to perform a traceroute

Click "Start" and then "Run".
Type "cmd" (without quotes) and click "Оk" (or press "Enter").

In the command line that will appear type (without quotes) "tracert url_of_the_site".
e.g. if we want to perform a traceroute of ucoz.com we must type "tracert ucoz.com" and press "Enter".

*Do not forget to replace ucoz.com by the address of the website which you cannot access.

Then you might want to send the received data to our Technical Support. It is not necessary to make a screenshot, you can just copy the data and send them as text. To do this press right mouse click -> select all. Then press Enter. Now the data are in the Clipboard. Paste them into an email message by means of the right mouse click -> Paste (or ctrl + V)

Traceroute from different parts of the world:
http://www.traceroute.org/
http://www.tracert.com/trace_exe.html
Attachments: 9640999.png (25.0 Kb) · 6822056.png (22.8 Kb) · 0432608.png (49.3 Kb)

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
GamerZWorld

Message # 2 | 2:34 AM
Traceroute utility for the TCP/IP protocol

To execute the traceroute command, you need to download and install two utilities: tracetcp and WinPcap.

It is desirable to move the tracetcp.exe file from the archive to one of the system folders: C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Then do the following:

1. Click "Start" and then "Run".
2. Type "cmd" (without quotes) and click "Оk" (or "Enter") (type "command" if you are using Windows 98).
3. In the command line that will appear type (without quotes) "tracetcp s49.ucoz.net:80" (replace s49.ucoz.net by the domain you need to check).

Save the results as a screehshot or a text document.

~Doing my best to help~

Http://www.hiromb.co.nr/ <-- A growing community, Updates Everyday!
Nixot

Message # 3 | 4:34 PM
Thank you very much, this will come in handy biggrin
tfewster

Message # 4 | 11:52 PM
I use this site

www.network-tools.in

because it lets me do a local and remote traceroute / tracert and then i can compare the two to see if it is my problem or the websites hosts issue.

Tim

justice214

Message # 5 | 9:15 AM
Nice shared, my friend.
It shortens the problem in trouble shooting.
Thank you very much...
RichE

Message # 6 | 1:21 PM
I've written a little app to do this procedure for you and can paste it onto the clipboard so you can put it into an email, you can get it here

http://pswitcher.ucoz.co.uk/load/2-1-0-1

Regards

Post edited by RichE - Tuesday, 2009-06-09, 1:26 PM
andiqu

Message # 7 | 3:08 PM
Hi Guys biggrin when can I report a site created in ucoz that removes the code $POWERED_BY$ without permissions?
My And Your WebSite:
wWw.LKclan.uCoz.com
Thanks to uCoz system.
Sunny

Message # 8 | 3:09 PM
Note, that uCoz doesn't bear responsibility for the application above. You will download it at your own risk.
andiqu

Message # 9 | 3:19 PM
Some that think a lot, can remove $POWERED_BY$ wihtous problems. I now too how to remove the $POWERED_BY$ but I don't want, I´m not a thief. I love ucoz and I decided to make a website with uCoz designs created by me and by more good designers
My And Your WebSite:
wWw.LKclan.uCoz.com
Thanks to uCoz system.
Sunny

Message # 10 | 3:22 PM
andiqu, http://www.ucoz.com/main/?a=abuse The websites that remove $POWERED_BY$ are blocked and can't be then unblocked.

And this a wrong thread, read forum rules!

andiqu

Message # 11 | 3:45 PM
where can I say what sites don't have the code $POWERED_BY$ ?
For the moment I've got a website: http://www.onlystar.ro/ that doesn't have the code biggrin I think they are more and I will say all that I'll see

My And Your WebSite:
wWw.LKclan.uCoz.com
Thanks to uCoz system.
Sunny

Message # 12 | 3:48 PM
Quote (Sunny)

andiqu

Message # 13 | 3:53 PM
I do it, thanks

Will you block it? biggrin

My And Your WebSite:
wWw.LKclan.uCoz.com
Thanks to uCoz system.
Post edited by andiqu - Wednesday, 2009-06-10, 4:27 PM
Sunny

Message # 14 | 12:49 PM
andiqu, the Abuse Team will consider the cases.
uCoz Community » General Information » About uCoz Community Forum » Traceroute (tracert command) and tracetcp (How to use it and what for)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: