• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » The Need For a Phone Number (newsite_er12 error / Privacy)
The Need For a Phone Number
Urs

Message # 1 | 9:17 PM
This is a debate so i am going to share my last e-mail i had.
The thing is what use does uCoz have for a phone number ?!

Quote me
Hello uCoz,

I am a premium user.

The uCoz stuff said on forum.ucoz.com that if i don't want to confirm my phone number, and i want to create more websites, to contact the Technical Support.

I sometimes use additional sites to test new uCoz things before they go to the main site, other times test sites may become full sites, the question is :

Is there any other way to not ask the technical team periodically for help regarding the newsite_er12 error ?

I always remove the test sites so that others can take the sub-domains.

Right now i need to be able to make more sites.

Thank you.

Quote Technical
I'm afraid it is not possible to create more than 3 websites per one uID account if the phone number is not verified. Deleted websites are also counted. You can create another uID account to create test websites.

Quote me
Why would it matter what my phone number is when i am already a premium user.

If there is anything wrong you can verify me and find who i am by tracking from which card i made the payments to uCoz.

I don't understand what can you possibly do with a phone number. For free users OK, but for a premium user, you already know who i am since i gave you my money.

I kindly ask if this limitation can be unblocked for my account since i don't desire to make public my personal phone number

Waiting for a reply, in the meantime...

Debate.

Thassos Island Portal :
https://thassos.one
Post edited by Urs - Wednesday, 2016-02-03, 9:18 PM
Sunny

Message # 2 | 1:27 PM
Urs, this limitation applies to all users, free and premium. It's a security measure that we cannot remove for a specific website.
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Urs

Message # 3 | 2:12 PM
Security for who exactly ? The Russian federation ? NSA ?

I definitely don't feel more secure if i share my private phone number to people i don't know about. I literally don't know the name of the person or the address where he lives that is in possession of my number.

Knowing my card that was used to pay for services should be enough. Anyone can buy a phone SIM then activate your so called security and throw away the SIM afterwards.

So if this security is to prevent robots from making websites on uCoz i think this is wrong because it hurts legitimate users.

Simply allow only premium users to make more than 1 website. That is enough for protection.

But what is this security for ?

Thassos Island Portal :
Sunny

Message # 4 | 3:43 PM
Urs, phone verification is not required. A user can create 3 websites without phone verification. If you want to create more, you can still bypass the limitation by simply creating another uID account.
joexyz
JOE-vascript

Message # 5 | 5:33 PM
Urs, the security measure is to avoid spammers to create a plenty amount of sites, as it's inconvenient for us either. As described in the User Agreement of uCoz Web-Services, paragraph 3.5 and 3.6, uCoz has the right to use the phone number provided by the users for specific cases, like security cases. We can inform our users through a phone call or an SMS message if their personal data, websites and their content are in danger (e.g.: hacking, stealing, etc.), and if those sites are committing illegal actions that are against the abovementioned User Agreement. We would like to publicly confirm that we never and under no circumstances disclose the phone number of our users to any third parties, excepting cases stipulated by the applicable international law.
hey i'm joe and i do not work for the company anymore, please contact other staff or tech support
icon by ch-chau

sometimes i lurk here
Urs

Message # 6 | 9:49 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Technical ()
Urs, the security measure is to avoid spammers to create a plenty amount of sites, as it's inconvenient for us either. As described in the User Agreement of uCoz Web-Services, paragraph 3.5 and 3.6, uCoz has the right to use the phone number provided by the users for specific cases, like security cases. We can inform our users through a phone call or an SMS message if their personal data, websites and their content are in danger (e.g.: hacking, stealing, etc.), and if those sites are committing illegal actions that are against the abovementioned User Agreement. We would like to publicly confirm that we never and under no circumstances disclose the phone number of our users to any third parties, excepting cases stipulated by the applicable international law.

Can freedom of speech be considered an illegal action according to uCoz agreement ? So for example can a government of one country ask uCoz to give personal information about the owner of a website just because they don't like what is written on that site and uCoz will comply ?

3.5 The User agrees that uCoz has the right to use the data provided by the User during the Registration to run events related to the Service, as well as send notifications to the e-mail address and/or SMS messages to the mobile phone number that were provided by the User, place advertising and informational messages in the space limited by the User’s access.

What if a country prohibits the sending of advertisements over SMS ? How can the user agree with something that is illegal in his country only to use uCoz service ?

3.6 uCoz reserves the right to contact the User through phone calls or by sending SMS messages to check the quality of the provided services and to provide the User with critically important information. The User may request cancellation of phone calls and SMS at any time by informing uCoz.

SMS to check the quality of the provided services ? What does that mean ?
Where can i request cancellation of all phone calls and SMS from uCoz ? Where should i inform uCoz about this ?

3.7 uCoz reserves the right to ask the User for scanned copies of the Users documents to verify the identity of the account/domains owner. uСoz is also obliged to provide accurate contact information about the User upon request of law enforcement authorities or other authorized organizations.

If payment was made, uCoz can identify the user by tracking from which card the payments were made to uCoz.
In some countries there are specific laws that prohibit giving personal documents to foreign companies, because there is no guarantee that the information doesn't end up on a computer that is hacked or that the documents are properly deleted after use.

uCoz can't be obliged to give the Russian federation or Ukraine government information about a German, a French, a British or a Greek citizen etc.

Why ? Because it is illegal in the other countries.

In some extreme cases of national security maybe this can work, but asking information about normal people like myself to build databases, i don't feel very comfortable with the current user agreement.

Has there ever been such a case where uCoz was forced to give personal information to other countries, otherwise they would close the company ?

Thank you.

Thassos Island Portal :
Post edited by Urs - Saturday, 2016-03-26, 5:24 PM
Sunny

Message # 7 | 1:58 PM
Quote Urs ()
Can freedom of speech be considered an illegal action according to uCoz agreement ? So for example can a government of one country ask uCoz to give personal information about the owner of a website just because they don't like what is written on that site and uCoz will comply ?

uCoz may provide contact information of a user if there are legal grounds for this and the organization requesting the information provides them.

Quote Urs ()
What if a country prohibits the sending of advertisements over SMS ? How can the user agree with something that is illegal in his country only to use uCoz service ?

uCoz does not send ads though SMS messages. If you have any specific case of contradictions, please provide the details and I'll forward them to our Legal Team.

Quote Urs ()
SMS to check the quality of the provided services ? What does that mean ?
Where can i request cancellation of all phone calls and SMS from uCoz ? Where should i inform uCoz about this ?

You can contact our Support Team about cancellation of services you don't want to receive. I should also say that you will hardly receive any calls or SMS from uCoz except for security cases like a transfer of a website to another uID account (in this case an SMS confirmation is usually required if a phone number of verified).

Quote Urs ()
If payment was made, uCoz can identify the user by tracking from which card the payments were made to uCoz.
In some countries there are specific laws that prohibit giving personal documents to foreign companies, because there is no guarantee that the information doesn't end up on a computer that is hacked or that the documents are properly deleted after use.

uCoz can't be obliged to give the Russian federation or Ukraine government information about a German, a French, a British or a Greek citizen etc.

Why ? Because it is illegal in the other countries.

In some extreme cases of national security maybe this can work, but asking information about normal people like myself to build databases, i don't feel very comfortable with the current user agreement.

Has there ever been such a case where uCoz was forced to give personal information to other countries, otherwise they would close the company ?

uCoz may provide information to third-parties ONLY if there are LEGAL grounds for this.

I'd like to say once again that you are not forced to provide your phone number, you can easily skip and bypass this step.

Urs

Message # 8 | 7:43 AM
I have verified my phone. I trust what you say Sunny.

Thank you for your excellent explanations and for your time.

Have a great day. biggrin

Thassos Island Portal :
Sunny

Message # 9 | 2:08 PM
Urs, no problem smile
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » The Need For a Phone Number (newsite_er12 error / Privacy)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: