• Page 1 of 2
  • »
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Site Promotion » <!DOCTYPE> tag
<!DOCTYPE> tag
KatrinL

Message # 1 | 3:37 AM
Please explain how can add DOCTYPE tag to my site. I found info about it online, but still don't know how to write it properly. When tried to add my site to Google one of the errors - "no DOCTYPE found".
I saw this feature in Settings, but don't know how to use it:
<!DOCTYPE> tag value:
This tag will be added to the very beginning of the document. Use this setting only if you understand its meaning.

Thank you.

Dartz

Message # 2 | 10:56 AM
Use search engines to find information.

I'm sorry but we deal a lot of questions daily and our job isn't to explain uCoz non-related
things. You will say, we offer this option in our settings, but it's more for advanced users.
There are plenty of websites explaining this theme and teaching new users. Please search.

[... With uCoz since December 2 2007 ...]
KatrinL

Message # 3 | 11:17 PM
Ok, Dartz. Thanks anyway!

Added (2010-02-02, 5:17 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Sunny, Darts...anybody! Please. Help me out! I red tons of info about DOCTYPE, but still need help. I use template #951. Is it in XHTML1.0 or HTML 4.1???? HTML Validator shows about 80 errors both ways. Please!

Tommy

Message # 4 | 3:35 AM
KatrinL, Please don't waste your time. We don't teach users about coding.
You need to learn all by yourself. Sorry, we can't help this time.

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places"
KatrinL

Message # 5 | 3:41 PM
I didn't ask to teach me coding???!!! I just asked to tell me if the template is written in XHTML1.0 or HTML 4.1.
Well...if nobody is capable to help...i guess I'm on my own...
Vlad

Message # 6 | 4:12 AM
Try using this doctype:
Code
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
         "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

it is the one that is usually used in ucoz templates.
Doctype is a tag which tells your internet browser where to look for information about a certain tag or command if t doesn't understand it. For example ie8 and 7 don't unederstand the comand
Code
position:fixed
and the doctype gives them that info. biggrin
skipr

Message # 7 | 5:40 PM
Hi, I am trying to make HTML on my site valid, and one of the errors validator throws is 'No known Document Type could be detected'. So in CP -> Customize design in the 'Site Pages' section, above the <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
tag I added:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
After adding this the page appears broken: now there is a gap about 100 pix between the banner and page content, take a look below. I also tried 'transitional':
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
with the same result. I am using design #822.
Please Help.
Attachments: 3780336.png (213.5 Kb)
Post edited by skipr - Saturday, 2012-02-11, 5:43 PM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 8 | 0:08 AM
skipr, adding in the <!DOCTYPE> tag does effect the layout of pages and how elements on the page interact with each other. As to your method of adding the <!DOCTYPE> tag uCoz have given it's users an easier method where you can simply paste the tag in the box at the bottom of the page after opening Control Panel > Settings > Common settings.

At the moment I am unable to see the problem you are encountering and the <!DOCTYPE> tag is on the page so if you don't mind me asking what browser are you currently viewing/developing your site in?

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
skipr

Message # 9 | 2:09 PM
Paradox, I tried doing it in Common Settings. The result is the same. I suspect something is wrong with the template #822.
Thank you for looking into this.

Well, I just created a test site using the same template 822. It is empty. All I did - in Common Settings put
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
It created the same problem - take a look: http://aktest.ucoz.com/
Post edited by skipr - Monday, 2012-02-13, 2:41 PM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 10 | 2:47 PM
skipr, unfortunately I am not encountering the same problem that you are. What browser are you currently using? This may be a browser compatibility issue and not a problem with the design, I will continue to have a look into any problems that may be evident with the design though.
skipr

Message # 11 | 8:58 PM
Paradox, you are correct: this problem does NOT show in Firefox. However, it exists in IE 8.0 and Chrome 17.0. I still think it needs to be fixed.
Thank you.

Added (2012-02-20, 2:58 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (skipr)
Paradox, you are correct: this problem does NOT show in Firefox. However, it exists in IE 8.0 and Chrome 17.0. I still think it needs to be fixed.
Thank you.

Paradox, is there any chance this will be fixed? Or you implicitly mean that uCoz supports only FireFox?
Sorry to be a pain in the rear...
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 12 | 10:51 PM
skipr, sorry about the late reply. It is no problem, everyone is entitled to ask questions. smile

As to the problem you are encountering though this isn't actually something uCoz are able to fix. The <!DOCTYPE> tag is a specification set out by the WWWC and is supported seperately by each different browser/browser version released by Google, Mozilla, Opera, Apple etc. The latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari and IE as fas as I am aware all support the latest <!DOCTYPE>'s although IE currently doesn't support some of the latest HTML/CSS3 codes.

The best advice I can give to provide a solution to this problem is to check that all your programs are the latest release version and if users encounter the problm to advise them that they may need to update their browser. smile

skipr

Message # 13 | 2:37 PM
Quote (Paradox)
As to the problem you are encountering though this isn't actually something uCoz are able to fix. The <!DOCTYPE> tag is a specification set out by the WWWC and is supported seperately by each different browser/browser version released by Google, Mozilla, Opera, Apple etc. The latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari and IE as fas as I am aware all support the latest <!DOCTYPE>'s although IE currently doesn't support some of the latest HTML/CSS3 codes.

Paradox, I cannot agree with you. I tested template #822 with all existing <DOCTYPEs> and it has a problem with all of them. I tried a couple other templates: #798 and #788 and they are free of this problem. Now.. you are saying that this is a problem of IE and Chrome and these need to get fixed to comply with uCoz' template #822 biggrin
carloscompu

Message # 14 | 3:48 AM
Thanks for this thread ,now I understand why it looks difrent in one browser then the other

But.......

Do I add the whole code to the spcified bar in common setting
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Where do I put the other code?
position:fixed1
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 15 | 4:37 PM
carloscompu, that 'other' code was an example of support for the newer CSS styles at the time. There is no need for it in relation to wink
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Site Promotion » <!DOCTYPE> tag
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: