uCoz Community » General Information » uCoz Updates & Announcements » Release of uCoz Social Bar (Update 11-2013)
Release of uCoz Social Bar
Sunny

Message # 1 | 12:40 PM

As you can see from the post image today we will speak about social media. Recently our team has started to actively develop connection of uCoz websites to social networks, and today we are ready to present an absolutely new tool for website socializing! The uCoz Social Bar is a handy and customizable tool that will let you add 'like' and 'share' buttons to your website quickly and easily. Now you won’t need to read through tons of tutorials and get separate button codes from each social network - just enable our Social Bar!

Why Do You Need It?

• likes attract new visitors from social media: liking a post on your website, the user can share it on his page in a social network;
  • you will be able to understand the visitors of your website: analyzing posts and pages that have much more likes than other pages you will understand what’s more popular among your visitors;
  • your website will be promoted in search engines: the search engines have already learned to cooperate with social media, and therefore likes have their influence in terms of SEO.

How Does Social Bar Look Like?

• Type 1: like buttons with the possibility to share posts.

This bar type allows visitors to like a page and at the same time share it through a social network. Both you and the website visitors will be able to see the number of page likes.

• Type 2: like buttons, hidden under social icons, with the possibility to share posts.

If you don't want the website visitors to see long social buttons with like numbers, select this type and the visitors will be able to see the likes only by clicking a certain social icon.

• Type 3: share buttons of social networks with the number of shares.

Choose this type if the number of shares is more important to you then likes.

What Are the Pros of the uCoz Social Bar?

• Our bar can be easily customized!

You don't need any coding skills! Just enable the bar in Control Panel, and it will appear on your website.

• The bar can be minimized/maximized in one click!

It doesn't take much space and you can set the default state of the bar - collapsed or expanded.

Note: we suggest to use the expanded Social Bar version as the default one - users will clearly understand what the bar is for, and will be able to minimize it if necessary.

• Social Bar is very familiar with uCoz!

These are not just social buttons, this is a bar that understands the whole uCoz system. For example, it does distinguish between entry pages with different comment pages, and even if you are viewing the 10th page of the entry comments, the main entry URL will be taken as the like URL.

• Social Bar has a search field!

If necessary, you can activate the search button on the Social Bar that will help the visitors to find the necessary information on your website.

• Add pages to bookmarks and read pages in a convenient format!

With the help of the service readability.com the website visitors will be able to add website pages to bookmarks and get back to them later, turn the website into clean readining view, send pages to e-readers and send them to print.

• Place Social Bar wherever you want!

The Social Bar settings are so flexible that you can select any bar type and place it either at the top or at the bottom of your website.

How to Enable Social Bar?

To activate the bar, go to the Control Panel of your website -> Top Bar -> Settings -> Social Bar.

Select "Enabled" to activate the Social Bar on your website and customize its appearance to your liking.

Note: at the moment the social bar is inactive by default for all uCoz websites. The bar will be inactive for 1-2 weeks. If you don't want to see the bar on your website, you need to deactivate it in the bar settings, otherwise after this time the bar will appear on all websites, the administrators of which didn't change its settings.

Afterword

Perhaps that's all on the uCoz Social Bar for today. But it is definitely not the end of our movement towards socializing of websites! Soon a global update of Social Media Publisher will be released.

And yes, we do remember that many of you are waiting for social sign-up and login on uCoz websites. This is our next step, together with social comments!

Please leave your comments and suggestions concerning the bar below!

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Sunny

Message # 16 | 10:09 AM
Quote Vorpal ()
1. Does not work on top only on bottom.

It works both at the top and at the bottom on your website (not simultaneously of course). What browser do you have the problem in?

Quote Vorpal ()
1. The social bar is too big cluttering the site. You need an ultra slim version of it in order to make it practical. Not everyone uses 1920 x 1080 or higher resolution. 16:9 already has less vertical space so you are only shrinking the visible area even more.

You should reduce the white/black border to minimum, like border of 1 pixel.

2. In sites with an "up button" that appears after you scroll down, it overwrites the up button. (on 1024 x 768 resolution for example)

3. Allow the option to make the bar visible to registered user too ! Some need it some don't. But the option must exist.

4. The share buttons are too big and you won't be able to make a slimmer social bar.

Thank you for the suggestions. The bar is still in its testing stage. We are definitely planning to make it available for other groups as well.

Quote Vorpal ()
If guests can't access the forum they shouldn't be able to use the search on the social bar to get previews from the forum.

Thank you. Will be forwarded to the developers.

Vorpal

Message # 17 | 3:40 PM
a) On Firefox 25 the social bar does not show up on top, only on bottom.

b) On IE 8 it works top and bottom but the bar is overwritten by the flash chat i have there (it goes under the chat instead of staying over it like on Firefox 25)
Sunny

Message # 18 | 1:38 PM
Quote Vorpal ()
a) On Firefox 25 the social bar does not show up on top, only on bottom.

I can see the bar in Firefox 25 just fine: http://screencast.com/t/9ygHB0bj
Try to clear browser's cache and cookies, try to check it from another computer. Besides, Firefox 25 is still in its beta and will be released only next week (October 29).

Quote Vorpal ()
b) On IE 8 it works top and bottom but the bar is overwritten by the flash chat i have there (it goes under the chat instead of staying over it like on Firefox 25)

Please provide a screenshot.

Ed05

Message # 19 | 12:21 PM
There is a problem, when i enable social bar i lose admin bar and i cant access to file menager from site so i must log in in cp to use it.
!
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 20 | 12:37 PM
Ed05, please provide a site URL. smile
Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
Ed05

Message # 21 | 3:01 PM
Paradox,i lose admin bar when i go to add material. there i alowed admin bar and on other pages i disabled with the code "puzad pn display none". http://tvistersajt.net/
!
Post edited by Ed05 - Saturday, 2013-10-26, 3:07 PM
Sunny

Message # 22 | 3:00 PM
Quote Ed05 ()
i lose admin bar when i go to add material.

The code $ADMIN_BAR$ is missing on entry posting pages. You need to add the code, e.g. in Design - Design management (templates) - Foto albumi - Adding new photos page.

Ed05

Message # 23 | 3:07 AM
Hm i did not notice that,thanks. happy
!
Post edited by Ed05 - Sunday, 2013-11-03, 3:13 AM
Vorpal

Message # 24 | 2:27 PM
Working fine Sunny on another computer same Firefox (26 beta now)

Maybe something wrong on my computer.
Urs

Message # 25 | 11:52 AM
Suggestion :

1. A slimmer bar is always better ( with very small borders and smaller icons )
2. Sharing a link can give you many new visitors while liking a page gives you basically nothing ! (now FB is changing it's like button to recommend for pages, but anyway there is no connection between your FB page and your site pages in terms of likes)

Thassos Island Portal :
https://thassos.one
Post edited by Urs - Sunday, 2013-11-10, 11:54 AM
Cyberdasm

Message # 26 | 1:56 PM
Urs, i agree with you Urs.

By the way i dont know how to install the social bar search page can anybody teach me how?...

thnx in advance.... ASAP

best regards..,

Added (2013-11-10, 7:56 AM)
---------------------------------------------
thnx i found a way on how to use it.

1F4BF3B
Post edited by dense0293 - Sunday, 2013-11-10, 1:34 PM
crystalonline

Message # 27 | 9:23 AM
Post text

Added (2013-11-19, 3:23 AM)
---------------------------------------------
how do i use the social bar on my web page...please show me.

Sunny

Message # 28 | 1:36 PM
crystalonline, you can enable the Social Bar via Control Panel -> Settings -> Social Bar:

Please read the first post of this thread. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them.

Message # 29 | 9:10 AM
I moved message to: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/56-7902-3#104563
Webmaster and Graphic Design - Sports Website
Post edited by 1500 - Friday, 2013-11-22, 1:27 PM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 30 | 9:49 AM
1500, the purpose of this site extension is to act as a way for users to share site pages and information via social networks, your suggestions don't exactly align with that, the team may however still consider them if you post them in the correct suggestions thread here: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/56-7902-1
Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
uCoz Community » General Information » uCoz Updates & Announcements » Release of uCoz Social Bar (Update 11-2013)
Search: