• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Responsive Design: Trend or Necessity?
Responsive Design: Trend or Necessity?
Sunny

Message # 1 | 10:14 AM

You probably heard at least once about responsive web design, template or website. What does it have to do with uCoz and why do you need to think about how your website is displayed on mobile devices?

Here you will find some interesting figures and will learn how to make a website responsive.

Responsive web design (RWD) is a web design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience - easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling - across a wide range of devices (desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets).

Let's start with some statistics. You'll probably find interesting the fact that in 2013 the number of mobile devices with Internet access has finally exceeded the number of Internet-connected PC. The age of mobile web has come!
The volume of mobile traffic (not including tablet computers) worldwide amounted to about 16% as of June 2013. of course these figures are increasing all the time, i.e. the Internet is getting mobile more and more, and to ignore it is thoughtless at the least.

If you own an online store, the loss of profit due to inconvenience of buying on a mobile device may reach up to 3-4%. It doesn't seem much but convert the percent into the real money and think, whether it is worth to make your store responsive.
So, how can you turn your uCoz website into a responsive one? There are several ways:

1. Develop (or buy) a unique responsive design (with its further transfer onto your uCoz website).
In case of developing, you will be able to control the process, make corrections and get as the result exactly what you want. Of course this method is rather expensive, and there is always a risk that you won’t like the end result. If you buy a pre-designed template, you can see the result from the start, but it will still require certain efforts and skills to transfer the design into uCoz.

2. Wait for the update of the uCoz default designs.
Most of the uCoz templates are out-of-date. That's why we are actively working on the development of stylish and modern designs that will be available free of charge for all uCoz users. There is no exact date of their release yet but we have first screenshots of how a website might look immediately after its creation:

All new designs will be responsive, i.e. visitors will enjoy viewing the websites from their module devices, and the PDA version will be a thing of the past.

It's safe to say that future belongs to the mobile Web. And we want your visitors to enjoy viewing your website on any device!

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
PixelKhaos

Message # 2 | 11:32 AM
Oh how dearly I have awaited this. Responsive design has absolutely come to be a necessity, as mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablets are so common nowadays, and without responsive design, users would have to be restricted to bad mobile adaptions.

A suggestion too; For business and portfolios, I would want to request templates designed for this purpose, possibly one-pagers (also a new trend, commonly used for portfolios).
Plus some free templates for stores especially, as the closest you get is a stale business or a game template.

Proud uCoz user since 2006
Freelance designer - http://pixelkhaos.com
PixelKhaos on twitter - @PixelKhaos

I can help you develop your site for a small fee.
Бриз

Message # 3 | 11:40 AM
PixelKhaos, I assume that you are not familiar with this resource:
http://ucoztemplates.com/shop/free
Do not include these templates adaptive?

PixelKhaos

Message # 4 | 11:47 AM
Бриз, I am very much aware of that site, yes. What I'm saying is templates for portfolios and shop, especially.
And having some of those as standard templates to choose upon site creation.
(And most of the free templates are either used by too many, or very stale)

And on another note, a free plan of e-shop could be useful. A restricted version for people to actually test what they buy.
As all other modules allow you to use for free, e-shop feels weong to have as a paid service. I would rather see that you could limit a free version to 5-10 items, and only have the basic options to manage selling. This would also allow you to not having to pay while you design the shop pages.

Proud uCoz user since 2006
Freelance designer - http://pixelkhaos.com
PixelKhaos on twitter - @PixelKhaos

I can help you develop your site for a small fee.
Post edited by PixelKhaos - Tuesday, 2013-08-06, 12:55 PM
Бриз

Message # 5 | 12:16 PM
http://vk.com/ucoz?w=wall-28741529_18517
This is a Russian social network.
Unfortunately, the module online store does not plan to do free of charge.
Translation of the text:
Within weeks of open communication with employees # uCoz answers questions Egor Godovanyuk, developer of module "Online Store."

Question 6. Will realized the possibility to use the module "Store" in the demo mode, to read? For example, for a period of a week or two.

A: No, we is not planned.

p.s. I would also like to try this module before you buy.

Sunny

Message # 6 | 8:23 AM
Бриз, if you read the comments under the post you will see that actually we do plan such possibility - a trial version of the E-shop module.

But anyway, it has nothing to do with responsive design, so let's stop going off-topic.

Tomanian

Message # 7 | 12:53 PM
Can't Wait smile
3mr

Message # 8 | 2:30 PM
in my opinion, We hope new,free,very nice and elegance templates to suit the needs of our sites

all templates is not very satisfactory wink

regards

Post edited by 3mr - Wednesday, 2013-08-07, 2:30 PM
Urs

Message # 9 | 2:21 PM
Good work.
Thassos Island Portal :
https://thassos.one
Post edited by Urs - Wednesday, 2013-08-14, 2:22 PM
Raver

Message # 10 | 3:09 PM
3mr, well, you have 28 new responsive templates on the line right now. Hope it suits your needs!
darkion

Message # 11 | 9:44 AM
I think responsive designs necessity depends on your content and audience.
I, for example, target users who have high-end gaming PC, so I don't really have to worry about phones and tablets.

Post edited by darkion - Monday, 2014-03-10, 7:50 AM
Paradox
Old Guard

Message # 12 | 4:11 PM
I'd agree with you there darkion. I find when I'm dealing with demographics that I know will be working primarily off desktop I don't worry so much about having a mobile site or responsive template straight away - which I know some developers and designers are cringing at just reading that *cue shocked gasp* - but it's how I see it.

Like, it's a necessity if you're going to have a large audience demographic, but if you're targeting a particular audience that wouldn't be on the site unless they're on a desktop I don't see the need in "having" to have it. uAnswers for example, I've never bothered creating a mobile site for, I don't believe I know any site developers that code on their phones - I know there are probably some diehard's that do, but for me I'm a desktop developer and the developers I know only code on desktops.

Anyone else have an opinion/view on the matter?

Jack of all trades in development, design, strategy.
Working as a Support Engineer.
Been here for 13 years and counting.
lanh

Message # 13 | 10:50 AM
Hi,

I am using design# 1081 .

Sign up and login button disappear after resizing window. Please refer to below screenshot. Thanks!

FULL SCREEN

After resize
Attachments: 9529523.jpg (96.8 Kb) · 5534571.jpg (69.3 Kb)

Post edited by lanh - Thursday, 2014-09-11, 10:52 AM
Sunny

Message # 14 | 3:07 PM
lanh, the issue has been forwarded to the technical team.
lanh

Message # 15 | 1:13 PM
I have checked all new responsive design which have had this problem.
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Responsive Design: Trend or Necessity?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: