Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Favicon: how to change
Sunny

Message # 1 | 10:03 AM
What is a favicon? A favicon is a small icon (16x16 px) in a browser address bar (near the url of your website). All uCoz websites have the following default favicon:

How to replace the default icon by a custom one?

http://faq.ucoz.com/faq/29-1#220

If this explanation is not enough then follow the steps below:

• Download or create (by means of special programs) an icon - .ico file 16x16 px.

• Name it favicon.ico.

• Upload this icon to File Manager or via FTP to the root folder of your website (the first folder where you see the original favicon.ico). You don't need to delete the original icon, just upload a new one and the old one will be replaced automatically.

• If you have done everything correctly, then you will be able to view a new icon at _http://your_site.ucoz.com/favicon.ico. Go to your website and refresh the page. If the icon hasn't changed, clear browser's cache or simply wait for some time.

IE may not display the icon. To solve this problem try to paste the following code between < head> and < /head>:

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">                   
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Post edited by PixelKhaos - Wednesday, 2013-09-11, 11:59 PM
Thief_Clucky

Message # 91 | 6:41 AM
I am having the same problem, every time I upload favicon.ico, it simply deletes the icon I had stored in the file, and replaces it with the default icon. This is file directly, not the website; however the website also displays the default icon. I have tried this several times on both the file manager and FTP client.

PS: I did this yesterday and 3 days ago, neither of them worked. They had same results.

This is what it is: http://cluckysalliance.ucoz.com/favicon.ico

and this is what I want it to be: http://cluckysalliance.ucoz.com/scripts/favicon.ico (this is not the actual location of the file, when i save it to the root folder, it replaces it with the default icon, as shown above)

Both the the two files were uploaded as the same file, however the first one reverted back to the default icon, however it does not have the information off to the side of it)

- - -

Alright, I opened my site with Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, and it shows the image that I want, however, Firefox still displays the default image. How can I fix this?

Post edited by Thief_Clucky - Saturday, 2010-12-18, 6:54 AM
Animorph

Message # 92 | 2:19 PM
Thief_Clucky, well it did not displayed for me after a few day's so i tried something different i used a PNG file and it worked instantly

like this

Code
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.png" />

but you also need to upload an actual favicon.png to get it working (:

To busy building a passive income online ;)
Natashko

Message # 93 | 1:35 PM
Thief_Clucky, we were not able to conform the problem. The same favicon displays in FF and IE without any problems. See this http://www.screencast.com/t/dt2VF3Ao
PRANJAL

Message # 94 | 1:05 PM
hi, i had uploaded an icon with name "favicon" of size 16x16
but it is not working
please tell me what to do?
Post edited by PRANJAL - Wednesday, 2011-01-05, 1:05 PM
CoffeeCone

Message # 95 | 1:21 PM
PRANJAL,
Quote (PRANJAL)
hi, i had uploaded an icon with name "favicon" of size 16x16
but it is not working
please tell me what to do?

Where did you upload it to? Can you give a screenshot of your File Manager?

"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer 6." - Microsoft || Join the cause. Help your friends.

Animorph

Message # 96 | 1:27 PM
PRANJAL, your favicon is displayed

just wait a while , it will display

Attachments: 6939475.jpg (3.1 Kb)

Beodicea

Message # 97 | 4:57 AM
Hi, I can't insert the favicon (16*16 px): as I fill in the name in the File manager, a message pops up: "the name already exists". Can you help me please? Thanks in advance.
faber est suae quisquae fortunae
CoffeeCone

Message # 98 | 5:02 AM
Quote (Beodicea)
Hi, I can't insert the favicon (16*16 px): as I fill in the name in the File manager, a message pops up: "the name already exists". Can you help me please? Thanks in advance.

That means there is already a favicon.ico on your File Manager.

"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer 6." - Microsoft || Join the cause. Help your friends.

Beodicea

Message # 99 | 5:05 AM
Exactly, that of Ucoz
CoffeeCone

Message # 100 | 5:08 AM
Beodicea, Can't you delete it?

Beodicea

Message # 101 | 5:09 AM
No, it is not possible, ther's no the function for the default icon of Ucoz
Animorph

Message # 102 | 6:14 AM
Beodicea, ah yes i have seen this problem occur with some friends of me try doing it this way

http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/6-6836-65278-16-1292681950

Natashko

Message # 103 | 10:41 PM
Beodicea, if you still face the problem, provide a website name, so we will be able to check.
Beodicea

Message # 104 | 2:11 AM
Thank you you all for support, I resolved by renaming the file itself, and then uploading it on folder wink
DreamBig

Message # 105 | 2:09 PM
I followed the instructions ... Now I will wait!!!
thanks for the tip guys!!!
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Search: