The update is available on all servers
One more long-awaited update for our users! We are taking the first huge step towards socialization of uCoz websites and spam protection - we are launching a new free comment system via social networking accounts that can be activated for free on any uCoz website, and a spam filter.
How do I activate social comments?
Perhaps for users and site administrators this is just a few new buttons near the comment form, but for uCoz in general this is an important and global update. So, let's examine the features in their proper order.
Important: social commenting is not registration via social media. We are working on registration with social networking accounts, and in future social comments and registration will be merged, but we don't want to make our users wait and therefore we update the system gradually.
To enable the new commenting system, go to the Tools tab of the Admin Bar in your Control Panel:
What settings does the new commenting system have?
Note: when you change the commenting method on your website, all comment templates in Design Customization will be updated. Don't forget to create a template backup before switching to the new commenting form!
All comment settings on this page become available only if you choose the new commenting type. The settings of the old commenting system are still available in module settings for each module separately; the social comments are customized on a single page:
- Commenting type: this setting enables the social commenting system or allows you to switch back to the old commenting type;
- Theme: two default color themes are available - light and dark;
- Icon sets and customization of elements: you can choose one of the available four icon sets, and choose the social networks that will be used on your website. At the moment the following social networking sites are available: Facebook and Google+;
- Modules where commenting is available: these settings used to be in each module separately. Now the settings for all modules are in one place;
- Display of comments (number and order): this setting is also common for all modules now.
How do comments look on a website?
It's pretty simple - log in with your social account, post a comment and it will be marked with the icon of the selected social network and your avatar.
Note: with social comments enabled commenting is not available for Guests. However, it is possible to comment anonymously. Read more about it below.
Subscription. Sharing. Anonymity.
After you log in via any social network, you will see the comment settings:
1. Button "Publish to the social networking site" (to publish your comment to the social network you logged in with).
2. Button "Anonymously" (to publish the comment anonymously).
3. Button "Subscribe to the entry comments" (a user can unsubscribe via a link in e-mail notifications).
Now each user can mark comments and Guestbook entries as spam, and moderators can view spam reports, mark posts as not spam, and delete/deactivate them. These features are available on a website:
- After a user clicks on "Spam", the comment will be hidden from the user;
- if a comment is reported 10 times, it will be hidden from all site users (the value is customizable);
- if a comment is reported 20 times, it will be sent for moderation (the value is customizable);
- the "Spam" button can be clicked only once from one IP address;
- the user can cancel his/her decision by clicking on "Show" and then "Not spam".
You can allow users to manage spam statuses of posts in the user group settings. By default only moderators and administrators can manage spam statuses.
Administrators and moderators can see the number of times a comment is reported and the "Not spam" button in the "Comments management" section, as well as on the moderator panel of each comment.
Anti-spam settings are available in Control Panel -> Admin bar -> Tools:
You can set the number of reports required to hide a comment or send it for pre-moderation, as well as view the list of reported comments and Guestbook entries:
Leave your questions and suggestions below!
I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.