Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Favicon: how to change
Sunny

Message # 1 | 10:03 AM
What is a favicon? A favicon is a small icon (16x16 px) in a browser address bar (near the url of your website). All uCoz websites have the following default favicon:

How to replace the default icon by a custom one?

http://faq.ucoz.com/faq/29-1#220

If this explanation is not enough then follow the steps below:

• Download or create (by means of special programs) an icon - .ico file 16x16 px.

• Name it favicon.ico.

• Upload this icon to File Manager or via FTP to the root folder of your website (the first folder where you see the original favicon.ico). You don't need to delete the original icon, just upload a new one and the old one will be replaced automatically.

• If you have done everything correctly, then you will be able to view a new icon at _http://your_site.ucoz.com/favicon.ico. Go to your website and refresh the page. If the icon hasn't changed, clear browser's cache or simply wait for some time.

IE may not display the icon. To solve this problem try to paste the following code between < head> and < /head>:

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">                   
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Post edited by PixelKhaos - Wednesday, 2013-09-11, 11:59 PM
Tommy

Message # 31 | 8:01 AM
Quote (Hybrid4525)
I upload my favicon, then I view the file, all I see is the ucoz one.

Did you name the file like this
Quote (Sunny)
Name it favicon.ico

Follow the steps given and it will work.

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places"
Damian

Message # 32 | 5:29 AM
I just spent 5 minutes re-uploading, renaming and deleting the favicon I want to use, and every SINGLE time, the ucoz logo comes back, replacing the one I uploaded, the second I name it "favicon.ico"...

Scratch all that, I ended up just renaming my favicon.ico I was trying to use to "Favicon.ico" and added this code to the header:

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/Favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">         
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/Favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

It worked great!
Post edited by Damian - Saturday, 2009-10-17, 5:32 AM
Devilz

Message # 33 | 6:33 PM
Can we keep an animated gif as favicon?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ascertain Everything As Certain Things Improves Your Behaviour and Proves Your Character.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunny

Message # 34 | 11:14 AM
Devilz, you can insert an animated gis using the code:

Code
<link rel="icon" href="/your_image.gif" type="image/gif">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/your_image.gif" type="image/gif">

Devilz

Message # 35 | 4:32 AM
Sunny, thank you for replying but my doubt is whether we can insert and animated image as "favicon".

If it is possible where should I replace with the animated image in the modules?. becoz in the root folder we can replace with only the ".ico" file not the file with other than ".ico"

Ascertain Everything As Certain Things Improves Your Behaviour and Proves Your Character.
Tommy

Message # 36 | 5:54 AM
Devilz, Sunny gave the answer. You can use that code to insert animated image.
"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places"
Devilz

Message # 37 | 6:49 AM
Tommy, I am really sorry to ask you this question again and again, sorry to make you irritated, but please don't misunderstand me.

My knowledge of html programming is too less, if you can show me a simple step by step procedure it will much helpful for me.

The reason why I cannot understand this inserting the code is :

earlier, so as to replace the "favicon", you've suggested me to upload the an icon named as "favicon.ico" which will automatically replaces

the earlier one. In such case i.e., wehn I upload "favicon.ico" there won't be any change in the programming. That was succeded for me.

Now the proble to insert an animated image is

"Yor are suggesting me to insert the code" but where should I insert that code in the modules such that it applies to all other modules.

If possible can you show me the step viz procedure.

Thanks for the support.

Post edited by Devilz - Tuesday, 2009-12-22, 6:49 AM
Tommy

Message # 38 | 7:34 AM
Devilz,
You need to paste the code between <head> and </head> in CP - Site pages.
Upload the gif image to the file manager and change the name in the code as Sunny mentioned.

P.S - I'm not at all irritated.

Devilz

Message # 39 | 9:10 AM
Thankyou very much for your suggestion and esteemed support. I ll try this.
NajmatHajar

Message # 40 | 9:58 AM
may i know that how can i change my login name . when i am getting login to my website it is showing login name and that i want to change.
merry and joyful Christmas to everyone.
easysharez

Message # 41 | 10:02 AM
Very easy, Go to control panel/users and where it says Search User, type your name in there and left click search. When it comes up, go to the far right of it and left click on the wrench. In that area, you may change any and all info of the user.

And a Very Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

EZ

zohair

Message # 42 | 1:24 PM
hello
with google chrome the favicon appares but with unetrnet explorer it dousn't whyplease
can somebody help i do the code into the pages between head ans head but nothing with ie
Air

Message # 43 | 1:30 PM
Quote (zohair)
with unetrnet explorer it dousn't

Well there's your problem, Internet Explorer. It's not recommended to be used on the uCoz system as it will not work/show everything correctly. (Including Favicons)

zohair

Message # 44 | 1:39 PM
thank's Air
But they said that when when you do that code it work with IE
excuses y englich it is so bad is there some one who speak french
Sunny

Message # 45 | 1:42 PM
Quote (Air)
Quote (zohair)
with unetrnet explorer it dousn't

Well there's your problem, Internet Explorer. It's not recommended to be used on the uCoz system as it will not work/show everything correctly. (Including Favicons)

It is the problem of Internet Explorer. And we cannot say that it is not recommended for uCoz, uCoz checks the system in all browsers and any default website will work in IE. In my opinion IE is not recommended for any website on the Internet smile

zohair, read the first post of this thread.

uCoz Community » General Information » First Steps with uCoz » Favicon: how to change (favicon.ico – a small icon in the address bar)
Search: