Forum moderator: bigblog  
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Global Blocks (tutorial and FAQ)
Global Blocks
Sunny

Message # 1 | 2:04 PM
Global blocks are blocks available in all templates of your website. By means of global blocks you can optimize the design of your website, having splitted it into common parts. With the help of common blocks you can update the design on the whole website by means of editing only one block template.

Where to create a global block in the Control Panel:

Go to Customize Design -> Global blocks.

Click New block.

Enter a block name (let it be LINKS in our case) and click Add.

A block name must contain only uppercase Latin letters, max length is 10 characters. This name will serve as the $code$ of the given global block in templates.

A new block will be added to the list. In our case it is $GLOBAL_LINKS$.

Go to Control Panel -> Customize Design and find the block template on the list of templates under Global blocks.

Add any code you need to the template, save it, and paste its $code$ (e.g. $GLOBAL_LINKS$) into the templates where you want it to be displayed.

Max number of global blocks is 10, including the 4 default blocks ($GLOBAL_AHEADER$, $GLOBAL_BFOOTER$, $GLOBAL_CLEFTER$, $GLOBAL_DRIGHTER$). The number of default blocks differs in different designs, some templates have only 3.

Note: If you are going to edit templates you must have basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.

Question-Answer

How can I add a global block in a global block?

You can't... we don't support global blocks nesting.

I've noticed the global block $GLOBAL_SOANDSO$ will not run inside the $CONTENT$ area.
Correct me if am wrong!

You are right. Global blocks work in templates only

Just 10 global blocks?

10 is the limit, you can't create more global blocks.
Attachments: 1514136.png (26.8 Kb) · 8639095.png (22.1 Kb) · 7644645.png (25.3 Kb) · 4539422.png (26.7 Kb) · 3073300.png (25.9 Kb)

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Condorn1

Message # 46 | 12:12 PM
Hi ,
I created a global block and placed simple text in its body. And placed it in a page. But the text is not coming on the page. Anything missed?

Added (2009-08-07, 6:12 Am)
---------------------------------------------
can i place anything in the global block like java scripts?

Armaros

Message # 47 | 12:12 PM
Condorn1, added blocks code in the page? Re-do.
Condorn1

Message # 48 | 12:16 PM
I have pasted this code in top of the page $GLOBAL_Welcome$
its body contains
Code
Welcome

Can i place any thing like java scripts in the global block body?
Armaros

Message # 49 | 12:18 PM
Quote (Condorn1)
Can i place any thing like java scripts in the global block body?
Yes.
Condorn1

Message # 50 | 12:22 PM
Condorn1, added blocks code in the page? Re-do.

I have added blocks in the page but the text is not coming. (I have pasted the code in a page through the page editor html panels code.)
Post edited by Condorn1 - Friday, 2009-08-07, 12:26 PM
Sunny

Message # 51 | 2:36 PM
Condorn1, if you pasted the code in the top part of the website (or any other default global block - the first container, the second container...) then it won't work - a global block can't be used within another global block.
Condorn1

Message # 52 | 2:45 PM
Quote (Sunny)
Condorn1, if you pasted the code in the top part of the website (or any other default global block - the first container, the second container...) then it won't work - a global block can't be used within another global block.

It means that i can't use global block in page editor. I have to go to module design customization->site pages??

Sunny

Message # 53 | 8:07 AM
Condorn1, yes. But why do you need a separate global block? You can simply put your code directly into Top part of the website (or another global block).
kostova

Message # 54 | 4:02 AM
I'm not sure why this has happened, but I recently started using the global clefter and input some of my own informers, and when I viewed the page design customization on the site news module through the site, it reverted the global clefter back to it's original codes with the <!-block#-> comments on it.

I don't use the Builder for anything, but is there any particular reason it's doing this?

I did notice, when testing the builder on another site, that the builder has the block#'s, and if you try to place a code between blocks, save, and use the builder afterwards, it will delete the codes you've just placed.
But in my case, the codes disappear and it comes up with blocks, as if I was using the builder.

It's disabled too. In any case, with the builder disabled, is it good to use the preexisting global blocks for your own designs?

Sunny

Message # 55 | 11:03 AM
kostova, I can't say where is the problem. I tried to do smth similar and had no problems. I you have a test website try to edit it in the same way and see what happens.
animeandstuff

Message # 56 | 10:29 PM
How do i change the background images behind say like Menu and Search ??? i know its in customize design
Dartz

Message # 57 | 5:29 AM
animeandstuff, ask in specific thread, please.
[... With uCoz since December 2 2007 ...]
NTP

Message # 58 | 4:39 AM
it still doesnt work
Web design and film == my 2 passions.

Genesis Inc. ~ New Horizons, New Beginnings
Sunny

Message # 59 | 8:55 AM
NTP, what is this "it" that doesn't work?
NTP

Message # 60 | 2:06 AM
i tried to create the friends block, but nothing appears in the site friends
Web design and film == my 2 passions.

Genesis Inc. ~ New Horizons, New Beginnings
uCoz Community » For Webmasters » Design Customization » Global Blocks (tutorial and FAQ)
Search: