uCoz Community » Additional Services » Domain Transfer » Domain Transfer: General Discussion (custom domain, subdomains. domain-based email)
Domain Transfer: General Discussion
Sunny

Message # 1 | 10:25 AM
General Information

It is possible to attach a custom domain to your uCoz website, e.g. mysite.com, mysite.net etc., for FREE.

• uCoz gives the possibility of full domain management (creation of subdomains, e-mail accounts etc. if a domain is attached by Method 2);
  • you will be able to create domain-based e-mails (e.g. admin@mysite.com );
  • you can buy a custom domain at uCoz Domains or any other domain registrar;
  • you'll be able to register your website in directories which prohibit registration of free websites;
  • you'll be able to enter banner exchange networks (or advertising companies) where only paid domains are allowed;
  • with a custom domain users will never lose your website, even if you change the hosting service, the website URL will remain the same;
  • with a custom domain search engines will give you a higher place in search results.

Domain Attachment FAQ

Question: How can I create a subdomain?

Answer: Please see the following guide: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/54-435-6436-16-1218803195

Question: Can I attach two domains to my website?

Answer: No, it is not possible.

Question: Can I change the ucoz domain, e.g.: mysite.ucoz.co.uk to mysiteEtc.ucoz.co.uk. Is this allowed and how?

Answer: No, once you have chosen a domain name you cannot change it, you can only create a new website.

Question: How do i setup my uCoz web page in my own domain? I did try but failed. I can see this error message:

The domain djcaner.biz has been parked but not yet attached to the account.
Domain has incorrect set of name servers: ns1.hostavrupa.net, ns2.hostavrupa.net
The following list of the name servers must be applied: ns1.ucoz.net, ns2.ucoz.net

Answer: The system gives you the answer: You must change the name servers in the domain control panel (your account on the website where you registered the domain).

1. How to Attach a Domain by Method 2: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/54-18149-1
2. How to Attach a Domain by Method 3: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/54-18150-1

What's the difference between Method 2 and Method 3?

When you use Method 2, your new domain is hosted at uCoz servers. If you use Method 3 - you just change the domain name (to be more precise you just get one more name for your site because it will be accessible by both names - the new one and the old one) but your domain remains hosted at another registrar's servers. So the difference is in the place where your new domain is hosted - either at uCoz or not.

I'm not active on the forum anymore. Please contact other forum staff.
Tommy

Message # 136 | 4:03 AM
Kimbo, Your page loads fine for me.
"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places"
Dartz

Message # 137 | 4:28 AM
1. Your website is extremely heavy - not good.
2. Your uCoz sub-domain doesn't redirect - check settings.
3. Your menu still contains uCoz urls - modify.

If you merge 1st and 2nd point together - don't be surprised if something
works slow. Think with logic, heavy websites no one wants to visit + it's a
lot harder to redirect too. I suggest you to think about first page's content.

[... With uCoz since December 2 2007 ...]
Kimbo

Message # 138 | 9:06 AM
"Ucoz sub-domain doesn't redirect" - what do you mean?

We didn't make no "Domain transfer" or nothing like that yet. We built a page at safetrade.ucoz.com and now we bought a proper adress for it safetrade.pl

All we did for now is setup simple redirection that when you type safetrade.pl ---> the ucoz page loads up

PS. The page cannot be super-light if we want to have good quality graphical content - but we know it's heavy at the moment. The main page I think is the heaviest and we have to remove some content to make it faster.
The rest isn't so bad I guess. It all depends what speed of the internet connection one's have. What connection speed do you have if I may ask?

PS. So is the connecting possible (getting the safetrade.pl true adress)? What will we have to modify after "domain transfer" like this? Everything will suddenly stop working?

Post edited by Kimbo - Saturday, 2009-11-21, 9:14 AM
Sunny

Message # 139 | 10:44 AM
Kimbo, of course it is not late to attach a domain.

Quote (Kimbo)
What will we have to modify after "domain transfer" like this?

You will probably have to modify links.

Everything will suddenly stop working?

The domain safetrade.pl might be unavailable for some time till the changes will take place. The domain safetrade.ucoz.com will work fine all the time.

Dartz

Message # 140 | 3:10 PM
Quote (Kimbo)
What connection speed do you have if I may ask?

It's better than yours, I'm pretty sure of it. I assume next time you'll ask what
colour is my underwear. I don't think a Head Mod would be stupid enough and
not to think about connection speed before stating his facts. Think about that.

Kimbo

Message # 141 | 3:37 PM
We try to have a normal conversation to finally find out how to merge these two adresses, not to brag about something like connection speeds or undies colour (?!).
I'm sorry If you didn't understand my point. I didn't ask the question for some mysterious private purposes - I asked it because I wanted to know at what speed it might be loading too long or fail to load at all.
There's really no need to get nervous or cocky or anything. To be honest I'm really surpised you felt attacked and offended in any way. Please kindly calm down, we really didn't mean any harm :-)

Sunny - I posted this morning couple of questions but they are not here...

Are there any more downsides to the Domain Transfer process other then that "safetrade.pl" would be not working (how long would it not function)?

What will happen with all the directories, files, pictures etc. Will all directories and links within (and out of) page have to be manually edited to work with the new adress?

Sunny

Message # 142 | 4:17 PM
Quote (Kimbo)
Are there any more downsides to the Domain Transfer process other then that "safetrade.pl" would be not working (how long would it not function)?

No, I don't think so. As for the time - it depends, up to 48 hours (depends on the time it will take to update the name-servers at your domain registrar).

Quote (Kimbo)
What will happen with all the directories, files, pictures etc. Will all directories and links within (and out of) page have to be manually edited to work with the new adress?

It depends as well. If you used full links like www.safetrade.ucoz.com/image.jpg then you will have to edit them (it can be done quickly by means of Quick Replacement). If you used links like /image.jpg then they will work fine.

Kimbo

Message # 143 | 9:05 AM
Thank you for assistance. 48 hours isn't so bad - however 2 days out is long enough to cost us some money.

As for the links/directories within our site we used many different options: full links and the short "/image.jpg" or "/pagenumber" so it's going to be somewhat tricky to get all the puzzles back together.

BTW. All the outside links will stop to function right? Ex. if there are banners, photos (and other content) posted on other sites (from our server with a specific directory, like http://safetrade.ucoz.com/directory/image.jpg ) they all would have to be updated to fit the new adress? Thanks again for your patience and help - it's good to see that there is also a good customer service here.

Sunny

Message # 144 | 10:37 AM
Kimbo, links like http://safetrade.ucoz.com/directory/image.jpg will wok fine since the domain safetrade.ucoz.com will work. But if you want them to look like http://safetrade.pl/directory/image.jpg then you will have to update them. You can use 'Quick replacement' feature to do this quickly and easily.

Quote (Kimbo)
48 hours isn't so bad - however 2 days out is long enough to cost us some money.

The time depends on your domain registrar (on how long it will take to update the DNS), it may be just a few hours.

CodeResolution

Message # 145 | 4:43 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

Is it possible to add multiple domains? Im buying a .com domain which comes with a free .co.uk but I want to add them both not just one.
If it is possible, how to do it please? Thanks

Kind regards,
Elliott.

"The best uCoz" critic since 2007.
Qualified website, branding, print & user interface designer.

I'm on Behance and Twitter.
Sunny

Message # 146 | 8:10 AM
Mistory, that's not possible - one domain per one website. I guess you can only set redirection from one domain to the other.
CodeResolution

Message # 147 | 8:08 PM
Ok Thanks anyway. Just some websites have mutliple domains just for one website, unless they are just forwarded.

Sorry if any of the questions below have been asked/answered (i could'nt find any)
1. Im using Fasthosts for my domain, and I can create CNAME records using that easily.
Anyway, I wanted to make some subdomains for Google Calander/Sites/Documents/Chat/Mobile...etc
And, according to this, you can make CNAME records on uCoz too. And ive tried on both ucoz, and fasthosts, for example: sites.gamescenterarcade.com doesnt work (www.gamescenterarcade.com is my normal domain).
How do I do this please? Ive tried different ways. Some screenshots are below.
Creating CNAME record at Fasthosts
Creating CNAME Record at Fasthosts - Click Here
Changing Sites URL on Google Apps - Click Here
Sites New Address Dashboard - Click Here
Address Not Found (sites.gamescenterarcade.com) - Click Here

Using uCoz
uCoz Setup of Subdomain - Click Here
uCoz Setup of CNAME Record - Click Here
Address Not Found (sites.gamescenterarcade.com) - Click Here

Is there anything ive done wrong or need to include?

2. Is it possible to have a subdomain just for a page? For example: software.domain.com instead of domain.com/index/0-7

Thanks v

Kind regards,
Elliott.

"The best uCoz" critic since 2007.
Qualified website, branding, print & user interface designer.

I'm on Behance and Twitter.
Post edited by Mistory - Sunday, 2009-12-06, 7:22 PM
Dartz

Message # 148 | 4:26 PM
Quote (Mistory)
How do I do this please? Ive tried different ways. Some screenshots are below.
Mistory, this basic thing isn't complicate. Now you are asking us to explore your domain
provider's panel and write you a guide. Wont happen. As from uCoz, you don't need to
write long lines full of code to create what you need. If you cannot do ANY way (uCoz &
by your domain providers)
then you should find someone who can. We cannot increase
your understanding level. Two ways and you fail both. System isn't the problem it's you.

Quote (Mistory)
2. Is it possible to have a subdomain just for a page? For example: software.domain.com instead of domain.com/index/0-7
No.

TheWordsmith

Message # 149 | 9:43 PM
Hello and Thank you in advance for all your knowledge and assistance,

My question:

I LOVE UCOZ - however,,, I want my site name to be:

www.eliteproof.com
instead of
www.eliteproof.ucoz.com

If I bought a domain name of eliteproof.com,,, and used Method 2. Transfer existing domain to uCoz DNS servers,,,,,,,,
would my new www address be www.eliteproof.com
?

Thank you,,,,,, my objective is to keep my UCOZ website but have the address be www.eliteproof.com instead of www.eliteproof.ucoz.com

Happy New Year,
Linda

Dartz

Message # 150 | 3:11 PM
Yes, your website will be www.eliteproof.com however it can be accessed by old address.
uCoz Community » Additional Services » Domain Transfer » Domain Transfer: General Discussion (custom domain, subdomains. domain-based email)
Search: